Newbie just trying to work it out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatface76

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I’m pretty new to T2, I’m on Metformin and usually test 2 hours after new food just to see what it does to me. I’ve been really strict (perhaps too strict) and haven’t eaten or drank anything I shouldn’t over Christmas/Boxing Day. Usually I’m under 7 but the last two days I’ve been 7.9 and 8.9. It’s a bit of a kick in the stomach because I thought I’d been really controlled. My HbA1c is only just in the diabetic range (I was pre diabetic for 15 years but I kept it down with diet and exercise but I’m old and lazy now) so this result is high for me. I’m terrified about diabetes complications especially blindness as it’s unfortunately common in my family. Could it be the stress of Christmas or lack of sleep…. Thanks for reading

Most non-diabetics spend time above 7.8 mmol/l. Almost half spend a bit of time above 10. The risk of getting serious complications is probably just about sod-all unless you spend a lot of time above 10.

I really wouldn't worry about these readings even a little bit. They're completely within the range of expectations for "normal".

Hi, I’m pretty new to T2, I’m on Metformin and usually test 2 hours after new food just to see what it does to me. I’ve been really strict (perhaps too strict) and haven’t eaten or drank anything I shouldn’t over Christmas/Boxing Day. Usually I’m under 7 but the last two days I’ve been 7.9 and 8.9. It’s a bit of a kick in the stomach because I thought I’d been really controlled. My HbA1c is only just in the diabetic range (I was pre diabetic for 15 years but I kept it down with diet and exercise but I’m old and lazy now) so this result is high for me. I’m terrified about diabetes complications especially blindness as it’s unfortunately common in my family. Could it be the stress of Christmas or lack of sleep…. Thanks for reading
Just a change of routine and what you eat when can make a difference to blood glucose levels, I'm sure they will settle back down to your normal levels after the festivities and you are back into normal routine.
Check this link for some ideas that maybe new to you and give a boost to your after Xmas menu. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

What did you eat?

I sometime find I might be 7+ two hours after a meal - usually if I’ve had something high in carbs, like a cake or, as happened today, a bowl of baked fruit.

Three hours later it’s usually back down to 5/6.

It’s not unusual for a non diabetic to be in the 7s two hours after a meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back