• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

newbie here

jenks

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
hey i've only been diagnosed for 4 month n was just wonderin if anyone has tips on keepin fit as im in t army n cant afford to put on weight. if not feel free to chat anyway
bye

Welcome Jenks!

I am interested that you are in the army - has your role had to change since developing diabetes? Is it like the police force - that you cannot apply to join if you have diabetes Type 1 i am not sure about the rules on type 2) but if you are already in then you can stay?
As far as exercising goes - even a brisk walk helps!

Hi Jenks,

I took up cycling and it appears to do the trick as well as getting me fresh air an seeing the countryside.

Yeah since i was in before i got diagnosed im allowed to stay but only a desk job and no more fitness, training or going to war zones. They cant kick me out but to be honest who joins the army to do a desk job so i will probibly leave anyway.

im still tryin to go runnin but its so hard managin my sugar levels so that i dont hypo its kinda off putting which is weird as i used to do a lot of runnin.

the thing with keeping your sugars in check with exercise is it is trial and error, I know how much sugar I need per mile of running but that will be different for everyone. It's probably more difficult when you're newly diagnosed as your probably still honeymooning.
I was told to make sure my bg is over 10 before going out for any more than half an hour exercise and make I've got glucose tablets or similar with me. The first few times keep doing tests while you're out ( a pain I know but worth it) so you get an idea of how it is affecting you and pretty soon you should work out some sort of system. Also be aware that youre at risk of hypos for several hours after exercise so you may need to snack after. It is a pain at first but worth it, since I started running my blood sugars have been in much better control, I'm also running my first half marathon in a week - I'm sure being in the army you're probably at a much higher starting point than I was but the principle is the same!!!

Hi Jenks

I would reccommend a DAFNE or other education course. They teach you everything that the doctors should have told you but don't, especially insulin/carb ratios, how to deal with exercise, sickness, all sorts of things.

I find that if I start exercise with anything over 7.5 then my sugars are in the teens when I finish - I tend to start between 6.5 and 7.5 if possible and drink water with a small amount of glucose in it and this keeps me even throughout - especially when running (which I used to do!).

I've found that I can manage a 5 mile run without extra sugar, as long as I start out above 6. If I'm lower, then I'll drink some fresh orange juice before going out. Although my sugars hardly change after 5 miles, I have found that I'm at risk of hypos up to 24 hours after, so will probably start reducing my insulin after a run for the next 2 or 3 jabs.

When I did the Great South Run recently, I hadn't trained above 5 miles with the diabetes so wasn't sure what would happen over the last 5 miles. I ate a few jelly babies and kept well hydrated and that seemed to do the trick. I started the race at 11.8 and finished on 5.8.

I go to exercise classes which I'm guessing you won't want to do, but spinning is great and I also go swimming once a week, which all normally lower my blood sugar levels. I have had a problem with weight gain though since I went on 4 injections a day, and i can't seem to lose it. so if anyone could help with that too cos i think it is related :)

Back