Status
Not open for further replies.

Immielily

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi everyone

I'm new here, and newly diagnosed with diabetes. I got diagnosed with type 2 right after Christmas day - a not so nice surprise as I had no symptoms.

I just wanted to say a general hi. Also I have a question I'm wondering if anyone can help with about diabetic eye check. I've got my first diabetic eye screening on Thursday 29th and I'm really worried about it. I can't drive (never passed test) but I also don't have anyone who can pick me up after the appointment and take me home.

I've read it makes your eyes really blurry and I'm worried I won't be able to see things to get public transport home - bus numbers, bus stops etc, I buy mobile bus tickets on my phone - also would I be able to read the signs around the hospital to actually find my way out to get to public transport? I'm also really worried it will hurt a lot.

Has anyone any experience with these tests? How badly does it affect your vision? I know it's for several hours so I'm not sure what I can do. It's making me feel very worried and scared.

Any advice appreciated!

Hi everyone

I'm new here, and newly diagnosed with diabetes. I got diagnosed with type 2 right after Christmas day - a not so nice surprise as I had no symptoms.

I just wanted to say a general hi. Also I have a question I'm wondering if anyone can help with about diabetic eye check. I've got my first diabetic eye screening on Thursday 29th and I'm really worried about it. I can't drive (never passed test) but I also don't have anyone who can pick me up after the appointment and take me home.

I've read it makes your eyes really blurry and I'm worried I won't be able to see things to get public transport home - bus numbers, bus stops etc, I buy mobile bus tickets on my phone - also would I be able to read the signs around the hospital to actually find my way out to get to public transport? I'm also really worried it will hurt a lot.

Has anyone any experience with these tests? How badly does it affect your vision? I know it's for several hours so I'm not sure what I can do. It's making me feel very worried and scared.

Any advice appreciated!
Welcome to the forum
The eye screening is nothing to worry about, they put some drops in your eyes to dilate the pupils so they can get good images and they do sting a bit for a minute or so when they put them in, you then have to wait about 10mins before they can take the pictures. Your eyes will be light sensitive so make sure you take sun glasses even if it is a dull day. Your vision will be a bit fuzzy but usually you can see enough to get about. It will ware off gradually after a few hours though you may look like one of those googly eyed soft toys.
Apart from that how are you doing with your diabetes management, are you on medication or just dietary changes, we can help with suggestions if you have any questions.

Welcome @Immielily 🙂 Don’t worry too much about the eye check. Think of it as a positive thing - checking that all’s ok. The eye drops do sting but it’s not as bad as getting shampoo in your eyes because the sting from the drops last for seconds whereas the shampoo stinging lasts longer.

Your eyes will be blurry afterwards. I recommend you take sunglasses as that shields your eyes from brightness. You should be fine taking public transport. I find it only print that’s blurry.

Hi everyone

Any advice appreciated!
The drops do affect your vision for a while but nowhere near the extent that you're worried about. I''ve had several screenings and all I've experienced is a slight out-of-focus affect on my near vision. Don't worry - it's not like it's going to look like it's foggy for a few hours.

I've read it makes your eyes really blurry and I'm worried I won't be able to see things to get public transport home - bus numbers, bus stops etc, I buy mobile bus tickets on my phone - also would I be able to read the signs around the hospital to actually find my way out to get to public transport?
It's not that bad. You might want to plan to have a cup of tea or something afterwards (so see if there's a cafe nearby (maybe in the hospital, if that's where the eye test is) and plan to visit that), but likely you'll find you're fine. As others say, take sunglasses just in case.

If you hold your phone at arms length you’ll be able to see it, it’s only close up that gets blurry. Or set the print size larger beforehand. You’ll be able to see distance clearly, I always get the bus home

The wide pupils can startle some people - including me - so I wear a broad brimmed hat.
The last test I had done actually improved my vision for a while - but I am very shortsighted. I don't remember ever having problems except in very bright sunlight.

Hi
Thanks so much for your reply. I really appreciate it. Hopefully it will be OK. I'm a bit of a worry-wort! I had my eyes lasered about ten year ago so I imagine it might be a bit similar but I had someone to help me that day. My main concern is just so I can manage to read signs, bus numbers etc to get myself home!
I have been put on medication Metformin (1000 mg) and Atorvastatin (40mg) to help me, I do want to try to get to the stage where hopefully I can come off medication but right now there's a lot of stress in my life so it's been difficult to just focus on me and all the changes I need to make. It was definitely a wake up call for me, as I just haven't been able to focus on myself/my health for a few years (I've been a carer) but now hopefully I can focus on myself.
I'd appreciate any help and/or advice about managing diabetes in general as I tend to get very worried about all the things that can go wrong due to diabetes and freak myself out a bit.

T
The wide pupils can startle some people - including me - so I wear a broad brimmed hat.
The last test I had done actually improved my vision for a while - but I am very shortsighted. I don't remember ever having problems except in very bright sunlight.
Thanks so much for reply. I actually have really dark eyes so it's difficult to see my pupils anyway but thanks for advice. Hopefully people won't think I'm stoned/drunk!

If you hold your phone at arms length you’ll be able to see it, it’s only close up that gets blurry. Or set the print size larger beforehand. You’ll be able to see distance clearly, I always get the bus home
Thank you so much for your reply, that's a huge relief. Actually my vision is slowly becoming not great at closer up anyway. I'll try to set print larger on my phone that day.
My main worry is whether I'll be able to read signs, bus numbers etc but if it's close up that's not a problem so I'll just get the bus back - thank you!

My main worry is whether I'll be able to read signs, bus numbers etc but if it's close up that's not a problem so I'll just get the bus back - thank you!
If you do struggle to read the number just ask the bus driver is this the number whatever. You’ll have sunglasses on so they’ll just likely assume you have vision problems anyway if it’s not sunny.

Hope the eye screening goes well @Immielily

It’s perfectly natural to be a little anxious with something unknown, but you’ll soon be taking these appoinements in your stride.

The drops will sting a little, and you may get slightly blurry vision for a while, but I’ve never had any problems making my way home afterwards. 🙂

@Immielily - back up all that the others are saying.

I usually walk into the testing room, grin, and ask the technician if they are going to tell me that drops might sting a little before or after they put them in. Most put them in first and then mention that they might sting by which time it is all too late!

Depends very much on your eyesight but it is not a good idea to drive for an hour or so after the test due to blurry vision.

My eye tests are usually done about a mile and a half from home next to Sainsburys. I always walk there and back without any issues.
Sometimes I pop into the supermarket and can see well enough to get what I need and go through the self checkout (I prefer them) but I might not easily read how many carbs there are in a packet.
As for pain, the slight sting when they put the drops in lasts less than a minute - enough to make my eyes water and then stop.

I hope all goes well with your test, I'm sure it will ot be as bad as you imagine.
They will probably tell you that managing your blood glucose levels will help prevent any problems.
To which end you may find this link helpful with some ideas for dietary changes which will be needed even with the metformin as that only helps a bit helping your body use the insulin it produces more effectively. The atorvastatin is to help reduce cholesterol as they like it to be below the magic 4 for people in the at risk in terms of health conditions but people often find a low carb approach to managing their diabetes is beneficial anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back