Newbie’s with Freestyle Libre 2 sensor

Gardenpotter

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Hi

My husband has just received two boxes with freestyle Libre 2 in and we haven’t got a clue really. We’ve read the applicator instructions but what do we read the applicator with?IMG_4459.jpeg

Don't apply a sensor until you have the Libre Link App downloaded to your smart phone or if you don't have a smart phone which is compatible, then you will need to request a reader. I use a reader and I much prefer it to using a phone as it is much more basic (simple).

If you tell us which phone you have, we can perhaps talk you through downloading the app.

There’s lots of videos on the libre website that are worth watching to help you understand

The sensor is in situ and the phone app loaded. It keeps beeping at him because it loses signal even when it’s in his pocket. Any advice gratefully received

Well done with downloading the app and applying the sensor.
Many of us switch the loss of signal alarm off. You still get the high and low alarms unless you are a long way away from your phone but the loss of signal alarm seems to be particularly tetchy.

To switch the loss of signal alarm off......
Open the app and on my iphone there are 3 bars on the top LHS which when selected, give you a drop down menu. If you select alarms you will then get a page which gives you the option to select low alarm high alarm or "Signal loss" alarm. If you select the latter, you can then slide the button to the off position and that it is done.

Your husband may also want to adjust the low alarm to something above the factory setting of 3.9 to give him warning of an impending hypo rather than waiting until he is hypo. I have mine set at 4.5 but some people set it a bit higher. To do this, select the low alarm and touch the number it is set at and it takes you to a screen where you can scroll up or down to set a new target.

Good luck with it and I hope your husband finds as much benefit in it's use as I do.

Hello @ Gardenpotter,

A comment about Libre 2 Alarms:
My personal view is that the Libre Alarms are misnamed and should be called Alerts (which Dexcom, a main CGM competitor calls theirs). We have Alarms for urgent scenarios such as fire in a building. But falling BG should not be even considered as an alarming state; it's a natural metabolic process and something we need to be alert to. No need to rush outside to an Assembly area because one's BG is falling; just calmly take note and have a little snack.

In the early days of wearing a CGM I think the low setting should be at the top end for Libre, which is 5.6 mmol/L. [My Dexcom G7 has the much more sensible upper threshold of 8.3; last night because of my schoolboy error, I had taken too much insulin earlier in the day and was concerned about going deeply hypo while I slept, so I set my low alert at 6.5. I was woken twice in the night, ate a couple of biscuits and went back to sleep. An otherwise great night, with minimal stress].

The point of having a CGM is not to tell someone that they are imminently going to become hypo, but to prevent them from getting hypo at all. So, until anyone new into their BG management feels totally comfortable about responding to falling BG and managing actual hypos they are far better advised to have an Alert setting that provides sufficient time to safely respond. This might mean a succession of Alerts while someone's BG is around the 5.5 mmol/L or below point and, more significantly that the user should have a mindset that says 6-9 mmol/L is totally fine.

A comment about the displayed numbers.
Strictly its not their actual BG being measured by the sensor, but interstitial fluid, which lags BG. Maybe that is too much distracting info for now, but I think is sufficently important to be aware that the number displayed on a screen is derived by some clever tech and inevitably has a margin of error within the number. So don't get too focussed on the specific number, to its last decimal point, rather just note the trend - falling, steady or rising!

It is easy to read on here about people happily in the low 5s or 4s, but I think that can be misleading to those that are new to Diabetes; now your husband is starting to use CGM he will come across the term Time in Range (TIR) and that range is 4-10. Achieving 70% TIR is considered very good - an official and Internationally endorsed criterion, recognising that people do get below 4 and above 10, from time to time - despite their best efforts.

The sensor is in situ and the phone app loaded. It keeps beeping at him because it loses signal even when it’s in his pocket. Any advice gratefully received
I no longer use Libre 2; so I'm out of date after some minor alterations and upgrades to Libre 2 and not well placed to offer thoughts on this, sorry.

Good luck to your husband with all of this. There is a lot to take on board all at once, but it does, absolutely definitely, get easier.

Great advice thank you. In fact he had already set his reading to 4.5 so that’s fab.he’s now turned his loss of signal off
Worth checking now and again that the readings are being updated on the phone app (as should happen, obviously), but it does seem that the "signal loss" alarm is quite often more annoying than it is valuable so it's reasonable to turn it off.

Back