New with blurry vision!

brassneck

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone.

I'm Steve and I was diagnosed in December last year. After six months of unsuccessfully trying diet control I'm now on meds and a low carb diet and my daily blood sugar levels are dropping.

But.. I've noticed a side effect that my vision is really bad. I wear glasses but not particularly strong ones (for display screen use). Is this a common side effect of lower blood sugar?

Thanks in advance for your shared knowledge!

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @brassneck

High BG changes the osmotic pressure and can distort the lens which leads to blurred vision, especially if BGs remain high for some time.

Rapid changes in BG can also put pressure on fine blood vessels, so in general it is wise to reduce average BG gradually over a period of time, so that the body has time to adapt.

Many people who experience blurred vision related to BG levels find it settles down after a few weeks, but if you are worried it would be worth booking a phone appointment with your GP, or an eye check to be on the safe side?

Good to hear that your new approach is reducing your BG levels :)

leonS

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
BG ;evel aiso changes the refractive index (the amount that the light is bent) of the fluid inside the eye. It is best not to go for new specs until the BG has settled dpwn.

You might find too that your eyes are painful from the increase in pressure inside them as fluid is drawn in to dilute liquid inside (osmosis). You may also get pains as the brain attempts to adjust to changed vision.

The good news! All these problems are short term and everything will sort itself out, but you may need new glasses.

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone.

I'm Steve and I was diagnosed in December last year. After six months of unsuccessfully trying diet control I'm now on meds and a low carb diet and my daily blood sugar levels are dropping.

But.. I've noticed a side effect that my vision is really bad. I wear glasses but not particularly strong ones (for display screen use). Is this a common side effect of lower blood sugar?

My eyes were all over the place just before diagnosis and for a while afterwards as my BG started to come down, so much so that I ended up wearing my reading glasses to watch tv. I saw my optician who confirmed that my prescription had changed but advised me against buying new glasses at that point as my eyes would still be sorting themselves out for a while. She told me to come back in 3 months.

One thing that's changed is that I no longer need reading glasses, just distance, as the point at which things start to go out of focus has moved away a few feet.

Martin

belugalad

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone.

Hi I had the vision problem too,I'm fine now,so try not to worry about it.It will pass

Largesse1!

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
BG ;evel aiso changes the refractive index (the amount that the light is bent) of the fluid inside the eye. It is best not to go for new specs until the BG has settled dpwn.

You might find too that your eyes are painful from the increase in pressure inside them as fluid is drawn in to dilute liquid inside (osmosis). You may also get pains as the brain attempts to adjust to changed vision.

The good news! All these problems are short term and everything will sort itself out, but you may need new glasses.
Very interesting! I too noticed increased blurriness before diagnosis. My BG readings are now consistently under 7.5 and I’ve been getting pains in my head, not headaches per se so that might explain it!

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My eyes went very weird at diagnosis, but settled back once I got my levels back in range.
So it is best to wait before ordering any new glasses, and continue the successful work on the levels to correct your vision.