New type 1 and scared!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jane Eaglesham

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Found out I have type 1 only a few weeks ago. Been coping well but having a blip - reading info seems to be completely depressing!

Hi Jane and welcome to the forum sorry you have to be here, as a type 2 i go through diffirent stresses and strains but we do have the diabetes in common, try and stay calm for now and take things in, you have found this place and thats good we are a good bunch and will help you where we can, what insulin regime are you on? x
we all help each other out in this forum so get yourself aqquainted have a good browse around and you will see this place does so many the power of good, welcome onboard x

Hey
Im on basal bolus now - been two weeks now. Levels are now in to single figures which I know is good. Just having one of those 'why me' days and thinking about all the bad things! Thanks for the advice!

Hey
Im on basal bolus now - been two weeks now. Levels are now in to single figures which I know is good. Just having one of those 'why me' days and thinking about all the bad things! Thanks for the advice!

Dont worry your not alone in those feelings we all have them, usually coming on here and sharing does you good.It is very unfair being diagnosed but its not the end of the world it gave me a big wake up call and made me sit up and change my lifestyle so for me it was a good thing in a way....
We do have a section called reccommended books section have a look in there and see if any of the books interest you..x

Hi Jane, welcome to the forum 🙂 Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but it sounds as though you are getting to grips with it quite well so far. I've found that the main differences in my life have been that I need to be more organised than I ever was before in order to stay safe, but it's a small price to pay. Learn all you can - the better informed you are, the easier it will be to manage your blood sugars and lessen the impact on your life. People often become stronger and healthier because of the diagnosis, so try to stay positive and ask anything you are unsure of 🙂

Jane, it does come as a bit of a shock, but not a suprise I guess. I like most Type 1's I knew something wasn't 'right' but its when the doc says 'you have diabetes' and you go look it all up it can seem a bit daunting. The important thing to remember is all the 'bad' things i.e complications generally occur after years and years and are often due to poor control. Also if most are picked-up early they can be treated. Thats not to say you will have complications anyway. I know lots of people who have had type 1 for 20+ years and don't have any problems at all ! Also bear in mind when they were diagnosed we didn't have the equipment and insulins we have now. So its not inevitable that bad things will happen. Keep organised and keep testing your BG's, get some good advice about carb counting or even better structured education and you can live a relatively normal life.
Also look at the positives, you will eat more healthy food and get regular medical monitoring. I'm definately more healthy than I would have been without Diabetes !

It feels very daughting at the begining as you try to take all the info on board, and what seems like a very steep learning curve etc, but it does become easier...

It can be dismal reading but the technology and knwowledge we have now to aid us, make control a lot easier than it used to be and it continues to improve with every year that passes, with good manangement and looking after yourself you need not face complications, there are many of us who are long termers and have no complications and we used the old technology...

But as northner said, learn as much as you can and ask us all the questions you need and remember no question is ever silly if you don't know they answer, and believe me we've all asked the same questions ourselves as that is how we know what we do..

I actually find diabetes a dynmaic and interesting subject, as you can always learn something new, maybe new technology or a tactic off somebody else that helps to improve my own control, and I've learnt so much about myself which I would never had known if I wasn't a diabetic and then to top it off, I can share my knowledge and experience which just might make someboies else life a better one... Can't be bad🙂

Well said Ellie! I have learned so much about human biology since diagnosis! 🙂

Hi Jane

Welcome to the forum.

Well done on your good start so far. Sorry to hear that you are feeling a bit down. It's very understandable, and don't worry here you are among those who 'get it'. Sometimes we all just need to rant a bit.

As someone has already said, there has never been a better time to be diabetic. The variety of insulins and delivery systems available make it possible to achieve a level of control that was once all but impossible.

As I read earlier today, just take it one bg test at a time and keep on keeping on.

Last edited:
Welcome Jane, life likes to keep us on our toes with all sorts of shocks and surprises doesn't it? Do come and chat on here whenever you can as you will find lots of help and support and also things to make you laugh as well. We all know what it's like to have times of "why me" so don't feel bad for saying how you feel. This forum has really helped me (after 33 years of the big "D") so I hope you find it a good place to belong. xx

Hi Jane.

Like Flutterby and others have said, it's not all like the horror stories you read about. I've been at it for 32 years without really putting too much effort in and I can still see and feel stones in my shoes. And I've never paid for a prescription in my life so I've actually saved money :D

Sadly, long term diabetics who are healthy don't make good headlines so you'll only ever hear about the extreme complications.

Learn all you can, get to grips with it early on and you'll barely notice it.

Rob

Hello and welcome.

The first year is always horrid, you keep thinking why me and maybe if id done something differently it would be different.

Most of us are happy and healthy people. You still can be healthy 😱
Id say i was more healthy as i look after myself.
And if your already on single figuers your doing really well, go you.

Diabetes is hard work but it doesnt have to stop you doing anything, just makes things a little more difficult.

xx

HI Jane, I was diagnosed 2 months ago and just getting to grips with the basics myself.
i agree with PhoebeC about living more healthy. The diagnosis has really come as a wake up call to me, so I have become much more active day to day and making sure I am aware of the changes within my bg levels. At the moment I dont think its quite hit me but Im just hitting it head on. The way i'm thinking of it is that if I have to be a diabetic, I am the one in control and will not let it ruin my life.

Had a cold this week so my levels have shot up from an average of 6 to at its highest 18 :| . Its pretty scary when its the first, hopefully it will get better.

Good luck in the future 🙂

In fact, if you're healthy and well-controlled, people may not even notice that you've got type 1 diabetes! Just surprised several colleagues, all medical doctors involved in diabetes research, when, after leaving, told them about having T1D. Prior to that, I was known as the only person who had ever skiied to work!

Thanks everyone - glad I came across the forum and am sure that there will be lots of questions in the future!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back