1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

New to type 2 diabetes

Discussion in 'Newbies say hello here!' started by Superheroes, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Superheroes

Superheroes New Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 2
    Hi I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes even though I have been pre diabetic for 15 years after gestational diabetes and I am finding it overwhelming loosing weight which is a good thing but my emotions haven't caught up with my body. Is there anyone else feeling the same?

2. Ljc

Ljc Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Hello @Superheroes welcome to the forum. You sure won’t be only only person feeling like that, I guess many of us did soon after diagnosis., it’s a form of grief really. It will take a little time for you to start feeling better emotionally , so try to be kind to your self during this period, have a good cry if you need to and do what we all do when we’re down,come and have a rant on here.

You did well in keeping diabetes at bay for15 years !

If you do t mind telling us.
    What was your last Hb1ac
    Have you been put on any diabetic medications yet
    Your weight loss was it planned or unexpected.

Feel free to ask any questions you need to about diabetes, we have some very knowledgeable people on here who will be only too happy to help.

CathyB and Superheroes like this.
  3. Superheroes

Superheroes New Member

Type 2
    Hi my reading a couple of months ago was 52 and I have been eating more healthy plus I have two jobs that involve fitness plus I cycle 8 miles a day which helps and I have lost 7ib going down to 10 stone 3 plus I have my next blood test this week coming to see if it's gone down otherwise I will need medication . I feel fitter but my mind feels overwhelmed as my brain hasn't caught up.

4. Ralph-YK

Ralph-YK Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Welcome to the forum Superheroes, from a fellow T2.

5. CathyB

CathyB Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Hello and welcome :) it is very overwhelming at first, we have all been there but there is life after diabetes and it’s honestly not bad ;) Sounds like you have the exercise bit in hand so maybe focus on the diet changes you might need to make? Do you limit carbohydrates? Don’t be afraid of the medication, depends what they want you to take, some people have a bit of a dodgy tummy on metformin but to be honest I did have any problems with it, if you do then there are other options so keep in contact with your nurse / doctor and don’t be scared to question. Our bodies are unpredictable things, it doesn’t mean you have done anything wrong, it just is what it is. For me it made a huge difference when I decided to take control of it rather than it controlling me, especially when I realised I wasn’t going to starve to death :eek: and started to see results in my blood glucose readings and to my ultimate surprise, my weight :D

6. SueEK

SueEK Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Hello @Superheroes and welcome. You have come to the right place for advice and support, we all do our best to help each other. The others have said it really, it is the carbs you need to watch our for and limit as much as you can the emotional side is another thing and I did struggle with accepting my diagnosis and occasionally even now it overwhelms me though thankfully not for long. Please ask anything you like or have a moan we are all here for each other so we do understand. Take care. Sue x

7. Superheroes

Superheroes New Member

Type 2
    Hi Cathy thanks for replying and at the moment I am working on my diet with the exercise until the end of the week when I have the next blood test to see how well the sugar has been as I have been warned that I may be on medication if it hasn't improved so here's hoping and it seems your doing well.

CathyB likes this.
  8. Superheroes

Superheroes New Member

Type 2
    Thank you Sue x