New to the site, but need advice. Please.

MmMartin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I keep getting the symptoms of a LOW. I check my levels and my bloods are 5.4 at this moment. It somedrops lower and I eat and drink and recover. But why does this happen. I'm on 2 metformin breakfast and 2 at dinner. I am trying to eat a better diet, I was only diagnosed February 2020.

It does not always happen it goes for weeks then it does it at random for a few days.

Any suggestions for this .?

Many thanks in advance.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi @MmMartin :) Those sound like ‘false hypos’ - feeling low when you’re not. Are you recently diagnosed? If your sugars have been high for a while, normal sugars can feel ‘low’ until your body adjusts back to what’s really normal.

I suggest you always test when you feel low, just to make sure. You could also keep a diary and see if you can identify any triggers eg are you eating a lot of carbs, going high, then suddenly dropping to 5 or whatever?

MmMartin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi @MmMartin :) Those sound like ‘false hypos’ - feeling low when you’re not. Are you recently diagnosed? If your sugars have been high for a while, normal sugars can feel ‘low’ until your body adjusts back to what’s really normal.

I suggest you always test when you feel low, just to make sure. You could also keep a diary and see if you can identify any triggers eg are you eating a lot of carbs, going high, then suddenly dropping to 5 or whatever?
Thank you. At least its a start. Was diagnosed February last year.

Cherrelle DUK

Online Community Coordinator
Staff member
Hi @MmMartin,welcome to the forum.

As kindly shared above, it may be a 'false hypo' which can improve once your numbers settle down. Also, remember that your numbers are used to being at a high level so what is a 'normal' low by medical standards may be a lot lower than your body is used to.

If you're concerned at all, you can always double check with your GP or give our helpline a call for some reassurance.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thank you. At least its a start. Was diagnosed February last year.

So not that recently then really. You mention a change of diet - could some aspect of that be affecting things? I think in these circumstances a diary is definitely a good idea. Note down food obviously but also perhaps alcohol (if you drink), exercise, and anything else that might affect things eg illness, etc.

It’s really good you’re testing your own blood sugar. Quite apart from checking these possibly false hypos, the testing will stand you in good stead.

MmMartin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thank you. I was starting to think " this " can't becthe norm......

I will start to keep a record.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hopefully your notes will help you spot a pattern of there’s a trigger.

It can take a while for the ‘glucose thermostat’ to reset to the more usual range after having been running high for some time.

The symptoms are unpleasant, but not too much to worry about as long as your BG is above 4.0.

A small amount of rapid-acting carbs (only 5g or so) should alleviate the symptoms without pushing your BG up too high.

MmMartin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hopefully your notes will help you spot a pattern of there’s a trigger.

It can take a while for the ‘glucose thermostat’ to reset to the more usual range after having been running high for some time.

The symptoms are unpleasant, but not too much to worry about as long as your BG is above 4.0.

A small amount of rapid-acting carbs (only 5g or so) should alleviate the symptoms without pushing your BG up too high.
I have done some more reading and that seems to be the case and spoke to the diabetic nurse at gp who said similar.

Thank you all very much