New to the Libre

Redman2502

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all. Received the Libre on Monday and am just looking for any tips on it. Especially regarding helping to protect it with gym/running. What works best for this?

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
There are some that find they don't need to use anything, others will use things like rock tape, I just use Cutiderm film patches to keep mines on xx

MrDaibetes

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi and welcome to the forum, it depends some people add stuff like skin tac, rock tape and more tapes out on the market.
I didn't use anything when I was using libre and I found it stuck on pretty well.

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Yes I have only had one that didn’t stick. And I think it was faulty.
On Tuesday it was the first time we had rugby training since I’ve had the Libre.
It was spitting and my arm was bare. Lots of accidental contact when we where playing tag rugby and it’s fine, no difference than usual.
I might get an arm band for it when we are back to playing normally.
I would suggest you see how you get on.
Main issues are if you apply it too quickly after a shower or if it’s warm. Make sure your arm is dry and clean.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @Redman2502

I think it slightly depends on your skin type.

Libre always still very firmly to me for the full 14 days and need prising off gingerly at the end. :)

If you find you need any overtape, ensure it doesn’t press the sensor down firmly onto the skin (which can cause ‘compression lows’) and be careful to leave the hole in the middle of the sensor open to the air so that the skin under the sensor can breathe.

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
(Fingers crossed as I don’t want to tempt fate). I’ve not had a sensor start to come loose for a long time, in-fact I find I need to give a hard tug when removing them after 14 days , however a glancing inblow on a door jam that jumps out at me can be a very good removal tool, I tend to be very careful going near doors lol.

I prefer to put mine on st night just before bed. as I think it takes time for the glue to set properly.
It should be alright to apply one after a bath or shower just make sure you skin is properly dry and don’t apply any moisturiser to that area, also use the two alcohols wipes provided.

They don’t recommend applying the sensor then showering for around two hours afterwards

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Only had one so far - took husband ages to unstick it and he ended up taking the hard plastic bit off the top first as not enough protruding beyond that to get any purchase on the bit that adheres to the skin. Plastic bit came off without pain or problem and ditto the 'patch' underneath that. One teeny bit of sticky residue left on skin which lifted off with his fingernail very successfully and again painlessly.

I did years ago rip the first one ever off on the bathroom door jamb in our motorhome and that hurt like stink so I don't recommend it. House door jambs aren't normally that sharp on their edges and the doorways are also wider so hopefully once I can get my first 'repeat' scrip from the pharmacy (surgery added it to my repeats on 8th Sept but that did not appear on the website until after the 9th, then early morning on 10th we swanned off to Wales on holiday on a campsite with no wifi or even a phone signal so I did not know that until we got back on 17th) when I discovered they hadn't issued a prescription so had to order it myself, then.

No Dr would see the request until Friday if they saw it then. Gets to pharmacy approx 4pm on the day of issue so often not dispensed until next day esp if they haven't any whatever, in stock and spare - many of the prescribed items they only order as & when, and usually get them within an hour or two because it's such a small space.