New to site

gogonuts

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi to all, My story is I was diagnosed with t2 just over a year ago in march {shock/horror} I laughed at this cause I didn't really understand however I have done some research on this and I wouldn't wish this on anybody. My HbA1c 108 at the time of diagnosis and I was 22 stone at the time as well so i followed all the instructions from my DN I was on 14ml insulin injections and 3 tablets a day metformin did not agree with me at all I just changed my driving license then I was taken off insulin changed metformin to succarto SR 3 per day morn noon night gradually cutting them down because they where making me feel sick with the instructions from my nurse now only on 1 tablet a day and i dont even think i need that i will have to wait till my next blood test , my HbA1c target was 58 it was 43 last time last year my nurse reconds i should carrie on with the succarto SR because its good for the heart ???.. so now ive lost so much weight 22st to 16.12 st i exercise every 2 days on a treadmill and walk the dog as well i do watch my carbs and sugar intake however i am eating quite normally and i think exercise is the key aswell as weight loss my blood sugar is always between 5--8 mmol and this is what my DN wants it to be so i seem to be doing all the right things . Food intake will be another thread .. The question should I be on this 1 tablet or not ?? oh also on one 20ml statin a day as well and also discharged from the nurse last year. there it is i hope this helps .

Vonny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi @gogonuts and welcome to the forum. I'm afraid we can't answer questions directly on medication, that is for your GP or DN. I am still on 1 metformin a day due to the same reason your DN gave for keeping you on succarto. I was told it protects the kidneys and heart to some extent, so although my hba1c is 36, I am still on that medication. I am waiting for my next bloods to find out if she still wants to keep me on it.

Huge congratulations on losing so much weight and for getting your hba1c down so much. You are clearly doing the right things! :)

gogonuts

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi @gogonuts and welcome to the forum. I'm afraid we can't answer questions directly on medication, that is for your GP or DN. I am still on 1 metformin a day due to the same reason your DN gave for keeping you on succarto. I was told it protects the kidneys and heart to some extent, so although my hba1c is 36, I am still on that medication. I am waiting for my next bloods to find out if she still wants to keep me on it.

Huge congratulations on losing so much weight and for getting your hba1c down so much. You are clearly doing the right things! :)
Hi, Vonny thanks for the reply I didn't think that about the meds how stupid of me its when you read about others of nearly the same and not on any meds but everybody is different what works for one might not work for others. do you suffer from any side effects, sometimes I feel nauseous which I think could be the tablets statin/succarto?? but not all the time I do think the tablets make you worse to some extent are you carb counting and eating normally

Vonny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well I've been exceptionally fortunate @gogonuts, in that apart from a dicky tum for a couple of weeks, I've been fine on metformin, even when I was on 3 a day (except for a couple of close shaves where I had to run/waddle back from my walk with my buttocks firmly clenched!)
I'm still carb counting, generally <50 a day, and cal counting as well as I'd like to drop a few more pounds. I don't know about succarto, but I know a lot of people feel nausea when taking metformin.
I was put on statins a few weeks after metformin, but I felt woolly-headed and my legs just ran out of steam when I was out walking, like I'd run out of petrol. Really weird. I came off those and am still resisting them. There was no mention of them at my last blood test results so I assume the GP is ok with my cholesterol levels.

Cherrelle DUK

Online Community Coordinator
Staff member
Hi gogonuts, welcome to the forum.

Just wanted to say a huge congrats on all of your hard work! It seems as though you've made great progress with your health and I hope that it continues.

We can't advise on your medication but it's something your GP should be able to advise on. The important part is maintaining your numbers so do keep an eye on things and let us know how we can support you.