New to Sitagliptin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sussexmax

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
So the shortage of Semaglutide has meant that my prescription has been changed, and I’ve been put on Sitagliptin to go alongside Metformin.

Just wondered if any of you take/have taken it, and what your experience has been with it? TIA

i could not cope with the rash and itchiness from it.
You will know as it comes out within a couple of hours from taking it.
Most are fine on it.

Last edited:
Hi @Sussexmax , I have been on Sitagliptin 100mg for about 7 months now, with no issues - other than it doing wonders for my blood glucose control! I am taking it on its own, not with any other drug. I have had no side effects. Regards
Nick (also in Sussex)

I was on Sitagliptin for years which was changed to Aliogliptin(same family), a few years later. I have no problems with it.
Thank you @grovesy that’s good to hear, especially that you’ve been on it/something similar for a long time. Is the other one better for some reason?

i could not cope with the rash and itchiness from it.
You will know as it comes out within a couple of hours from taking it.
Most are fine on it.
Sorry to hear that @Nayshiftin, and hope you got given an alternative without those problems.

Hi @Sussexmax , I have been on Sitagliptin 100mg for about 7 months now, with no issues - other than it doing wonders for my blood glucose control! I am taking it on its own, not with any other drug. I have had no side effects. Regards
Nick (also in Sussex)
Really pleased to hear that @Nick Cliff, and great that it’s made a big impact on your blood glucose levels - do you know roughly how much? Wonder how much difference it will make for me compared to the semaglutide?

Sorry to hear that @Nayshiftin, and hope you got given an alternative without those problems.
Not so far . I am between the devil and deep blue sea just trying low carb at the moment . It is also a tough ride .
I am trying to be strict but it has caused tummy upset and it is more expensive to start.
I have enjoyed sone of it but might lose my GP through it.
I almost feel I am going into crisis was happier with my high blood sugars.
I think if you can get on with medication it is better.

Thank you @grovesy that’s good to hear, especially that you’ve been on it/something similar for a long time. Is the other one better for some reason?
I was only changed because the CCG recommended it. So 8 suppose it is cheaper for them. No difference for me.

I've been on Sitagliptin for nearly 8 months now and not had a single side effect. It's a clever little tablet when you look into it and helps your own body to recover insulin function. Alongside doing a lot of work yourself of course 😉

Metformin, of course does the same but does appear to have considerably more side effects.

Hi. I was on it for a few years with no issues apart from a headache in the 1st week. This drug works in a very different way from the Glutides. It's a DPP-4 inhibitor which means it allows for more insulin at meal times by suppressing the enzyme that normally switches off insulin. It's not a miracle cure but does help a bit.

Hi. I was on it for a few years with no issues apart from a headache in the 1st week. This drug works in a very different way from the Glutides. It's a DPP-4 inhibitor which means it allows for more insulin at meal times by suppressing the enzyme that normally switches off insulin. It's not a miracle cure but does help a bit.
Thank you @DaveB for the information on how it allows for more insulin at mealtimes. I wonder if it suppresses the appetite at all and helps to make you feel full for longer in the way that Semaglutide did? Also good to hear that you did well with it!

I've been on Sitagliptin for nearly 8 months now and not had a single side effect. It's a clever little tablet when you look into it and helps your own body to recover insulin function. Alongside doing a lot of work yourself of course 😉

Metformin, of course does the same but does appear to have considerably more side effects.
Thank you @Deb_l, it’s good to hear that you’ve not had any problems with it and that it’s been effective as well. I’ve been doing really well with the Semaglutide both with weight loss and controlling my blood sugar so it’s such a shame that it’s become unavailable and I’ve had to be switched to a different medication. Hopefully the Sitagliptin will work for me too, as I’m trying to do my part with diet and regular exercise! Do you also take it with metformin, or just on its own - and how much difference has it made to your levels?

Thank you @DaveB for the information on how it allows for more insulin at mealtimes. I wonder if it suppresses the appetite at all and helps to make you feel full for longer in the way that Semaglutide did?
It shouldn’t do, that isn’t how it’s intended to work.

It shouldn’t do, that isn’t how it’s intended to work.
Thanks @Lucyr for the info, I asked in hope more than expectation! The semaglutide has been really successful in appetite suppression, and I’ve achieved a good weight loss through (hopefully) sustainable lifestyle changes rather than short term dieting - so I want to stay focused. It’s very interesting how these various meds work in different ways to achieve the same outcome of lowering our blood glucose levels.

Thank you @Deb_l, it’s good to hear that you’ve not had any problems with it and that it’s been effective as well. I’ve been doing really well with the Semaglutide both with weight loss and controlling my blood sugar so it’s such a shame that it’s become unavailable and I’ve had to be switched to a different medication. Hopefully the Sitagliptin will work for me too, as I’m trying to do my part with diet and regular exercise! Do you also take it with metformin, or just on its own - and how much difference has it made to your levels?

I just take Sitagliptin and nothing else. Metformin was never an option for me as I have Crohn’s so it wasn’t worth potentially annoying those symptoms with metformin.

My HbA1c has come down from 96 to 49 in six months but I’ve radically changed my diet as well so it’s not just Sitagliptin that’s contributed.

My HbA1c has come down from 96 to 49 in six months but I’ve radically changed my diet as well so it’s not just Sitagliptin that’s contributed.
Wow, well done @Deb_l thats an amazing reduction in a really short period of time! You obviously have made significant improvements to your diet and exercise, as well as the sitagliptin.

I went from 60 to 41 fairly rapidly with diet changes and the metformin/semaglutide, but the shortage of the latter has meant the surgery have replaced it with sitagliptin. I’d really like to reverse the diabetes and come off meds altogether, although I don’t know how feasible that is - especially as the surgery seem to like a combination of medications.

Really pleased to hear that @Nick Cliff, and great that it’s made a big impact on your blood glucose levels - do you know roughly how much? Wonder how much difference it will make for me compared to the semaglutide?
Hi @Sussexmax - sorry I missed your reply and question. Since going on Sitaglyptin my HbA1c has returned to levels I previously had in 2018 - to a level that my surgery is happy with. Putting it further in perspective, the 2 HbA1c results I've had since going on Sitaglyptin are among the 8 lowest of the 25 I've had since diagnosis in 2009. Numbers are on my signature below.
I can't say how it might compare with other treatments as the only other treatment that was tried on me was Metformin which, although showing signs of improving my blood glucose levels, stopped my guts working...with the Covid pandemic then delaying my next HbA1c to well after any effects if it would have worn off, so I'll never know.
For me, Sitaglyptin seems to be a game changer.
Best wishes, Nick

Hope you get on well with it @Sussexmax

Let us know how you get on 🙂

Since going on Sitaglyptin my HbA1c has returned to levels I previously had in 2018 - to a level that my surgery is happy with. Putting it further in perspective, the 2 HbA1c results I've had since going on Sitaglyptin are among the 8 lowest of the 25 I've had since diagnosis in 2009.
Thank you for your reply @Nick Cliff, that’s brilliant news for you and I’m encouraged and hopeful hearing that! So far so good with them, and no nasty side effects. It will be interesting to see how my HbA1c with sitagliptin compares to previous ones when I was on semaglutide. Thanks again for your message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back