New to pumping: nightime advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sals75

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi, have been on a pump for grand total of one day! Am loving it so far even though it is very early days. My question is what do you do with your pump at night? I am a really restless sleeper and turn over all night back and forth. Am worried I will get tangled in my tubing or end up pulling the cannula out. Someone suggested wearing a vest top and clipping it to that so that’s what I am going to try tonight. Up for other ideas though! Thanks

Hi Sals

Good to hear that you have started in the pumping journey. I love having my pump. Whilst it took a bit of work to get it matched to my individual needs, it is so much better for me than injections and gives me a lot more flexibility.

I have a long tubing on my pump/cannula (60cm)and it simply stays in bed (most of the time). I can roll over without a problem and it stays where it is. I do sometimes get a bit rolled up in the tubing if I keep turning the same way, but I soon realise. I have never pulled out a cannula by getting caught up. I prefer this to having it clipped onto clothing as I find that gets in the way more, as I roll onto it.

My only problem has been if the pump falls out of bed,then it is hanging the wrong way up and bubbles are at the top and on odd occasions I have had a wobbly delivery because of air bubbles in the top.

Hi Sals

Good to hear that you have started in the pumping journey. I love having my pump. Whilst it took a bit of work to get it matched to my individual needs, it is so much better for me than injections and gives me a lot more flexibility.

I have a long tubing on my pump/cannula (60cm)and it simply stays in bed (most of the time). I can roll over without a problem and it stays where it is. I do sometimes get a bit rolled up in the tubing if I keep turning the same way, but I soon realise. I have never pulled out a cannula by getting caught up. I prefer this to having it clipped onto clothing as I find that gets in the way more, as I roll onto it.

My only problem has been if the pump falls out of bed,then it is hanging the wrong way up and bubbles are at the top and on odd occasions I have had a wobbly delivery because of air bubbles in the top.
Hi, thanks for that. My tubing is long too.maybe I just need to have a go at letting it be free!

Hi, thanks for that. My tubing is long too.maybe I just need to have a go at letting it be free!
How as the first night?

You didn't say what you used for night clothes if anything.
I have found the easiest solution is a pair of PJ bottoms/shorts or knickers and clip the pump to the front of said article.

In my first pump kit I received a Velcro belt which is very useful for holding the pump at night and when getting changed. It’s quite comfortable as well, hardly notice it. I also quite like the fact that I put it on tight and wake up with it loose. Encourages me to think that I’m not as fat as I was when I went to bed!
Edited to say that this was from Roche.

You didn't say what you used for night clothes if anything.
I have found the easiest solution is a pair of PJ bottoms/shorts or knickers and clip the pump to the front of said article.
I attached it to my vest top and was all good

In my first pump kit I received a Velcro belt which is very useful for holding the pump at night and when getting changed. It’s quite comfortable as well, hardly notice it. I also quite like the fact that I put it on tight and wake up with it loose. Encourages me to think that I’m not as fat as I was when I went to bed!
That made me laugh out loud! Think I need one of those to make me feel thinner!

Would be really useful particularly for when getting changed. I am on a Roche pump but didn’t get a belt with it. Will look into that. Thank you

Good stuff Sals75, am pleased you got sorted. Its amazing what goes on in your head before you get used it wearing a pump. I really DO love pumps & good luck with getting used to it 🙂😉

That made me laugh out loud! Think I need one of those to make me feel thinner!

Would be really useful particularly for when getting changed. I am on a Roche pump but didn’t get a belt with it. Will look into that. Thank you
The other thing I do when getting changed is clip it to my bra until I have a waistband to clip it to.

I also clip it to my bra when getting changed (altered the order of dressing!)
On my dressing gowns I make sure there is a pocket or a belt on which to clip it, and make a ‘ buttonhole’ if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back