New to Metformin

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickW

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have been pre diabetic for a couple of years and my latest blood test was 70. I have been prescribed Metformin 850 X2 and
500 X 1 per day.
is this a normal dose, and should this reduce HBa1c along with diet?

It is usual to start on a low dose and build up over a few weeks to minimise any stomach issues as you body gets used to the medication, taking mid meal will also help if you do get any problems. Those specific mg amounts seem a bit unusual as they are often in multiples of 500mg. The maximum dose is normally 2000mg per day.
NICE guidelines suggest
Adult
Initially 500 mg once daily for at least 1 week, dose to be taken with breakfast, then 500 mg twice daily for at least 1 week, dose to be taken with breakfast and evening meal, then 500 mg 3 times a day, dose to be taken with breakfast, lunch and evening meal; maximum 2 g per day.
However dietary changes are very important. How do you plan to approach that.
I have been pre diabetic for a couple of years and my latest blood test was 70. I have been prescribed Metformin 850 X2 and
500 X 1 per day.
is this a normal dose, and should this reduce HBa1c along with diet

It is usual to start on a low dose and build up over a few weeks to minimise any stomach issues as you body gets used to the medication, taking mid meal will also help if you do get any problems. Those specific mg amounts seem a bit unusual as they are often in multiples of 500mg. The maximum dose is normally 2000mg per day.
NICE guidelines suggest
Adult
Initially 500 mg once daily for at least 1 week, dose to be taken with breakfast, then 500 mg twice daily for at least 1 week, dose to be taken with breakfast and evening meal, then 500 mg 3 times a day, dose to be taken with breakfast, lunch and evening meal; maximum 2 g per day.
However dietary changes are very important. How do you plan to approach that.
I am looking at drastically reducing carbs as this seems the most accepted way of approaching it. After 60 years of not really worrying about carbs it does seem a little daunting.

As above, it's more usual to start on a low dose & build it up. If you can tolerate the full dose at once then all well & good, but if you experience gastric issues you may want to start with a single 500mg.

Your total dose also exceeds the NICE guidelines for the maximum dose, so you may want to query that.

Metformin helps but it's not a magic bullet. As you've already alluded to, cutting the carbs is unfortunately essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back