New to insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finwiz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
After twenty or so years as a Type 2, My Diabetic team have advised me to to have insulin. I am not eligible for a NHS CGM and may end up buying one. My questions are:

1. Since I have to pay, what is the best CGM to go for? I think I cannot buy Libre 3 at present in UK;
2. My skin is sensitive to plasters and am concerned about the CGM plaster/tape. Can I use something like Skin Glu on the skin first?
3. Any recommendations for a CGM protector?

Any other useful advice will be appreciated.

1. Since I have to pay, what is the best CGM to go for?
If you choose to use one, Libre 2. (Probably, anyway.) You'll need a compatible smartphone, but assuming that you can get the first one free (so you can try it and get some idea of whether it seems worth the money). You can also buy one every month or two (there's no need to use it continuously), whereas with Dexcom One that would work out a bit more expensive (because of the separate transmitter).

You might find that test strips work adequately. Or, if you're using insulin sufficiently intensively you might find you'll qualify for a CGM (though you're right that it's not all that likely).

The “best” CGM is the one that suits you.
Libre is the most common but some people find Dexcom more accurate.
Some people reacted to the glue in the past but I have not seen as many complaints in recent years. The usual recommendation is to NOT use anything such as Skin Glu because it may go into the skin as you insert the filament. However, I have heard of some people using Hyperfix tape under their sensor as the filament pierces it easily.
Regarding a CGM protector, why do you think you need one? They are designed to be fine without as long as you apply them appropriately (on a flat area of clean, non greasy skin) and are aware of it when dressing which you soon get used to.

As @Bruce Stephens mentioned, Libre has a free Libre 2 trial available from their website. If you have a compatible smart phone (most new phones are fine … unlike Dexcom), I recommend getting one to try out.

Just wanted to say that I too am allergic to plasters. The pads that they use for an ECG bring me out in hives. I was worried I’d get a bad reaction to the libre but I didn’t, I think they must use anti allergy stuff.

Just wanted to say that I too am allergic to plasters. The pads that they use for an ECG bring me out in hives. I was worried I’d get a bad reaction to the libre but I didn’t, I think they must use anti allergy stuff.

Thank you. Just what I was looking for!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back