new to insulin and terrified

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawn

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed 5 year ago and was treated with tablets .But on friday my diabetic doctor told me that my bloods are way too high. And so they have told me the only thing is to put me on insulin. But im terrified ive never injected myself please could anyone lighten me on this thankyou

I was diagnosed 5 year ago and was treated with tablets .But on friday my diabetic doctor told me that my bloods are way too high. And so they have told me the only thing is to put me on insulin. But im terrified ive never injected myself please could anyone lighten me on this thankyou

Whoa Dawn, let me say straight away that there really is nothing to be afraid of. I've been on insulin since diagnosis, as I am Type 1, but I can see that if you're used to being treated with tablets and/or diet and exercise then this can seem like a big step. The injections are usually given using pen type devices. They have tiny needles and you only inject under the skin, into a 'fatty' area, like the tummy or tops of the legs. I feel practically nothing when I inject, except sometimes a mild stinging sensation from the insulin itself. Not everyone feels that and it can depend on the insulin type. It will very quickly become nothing more than a minor inconvenience. If you have any specific concerns, do please ask away - we're right behind you!🙂

Dawn, my best friend has been diagnosed with type 1 for 15+ years. I often said that it was a ggod job it wasn't me because I would never be able to cope with it - I'd have to die. Well 2 years ago I was taken in to hospital with DKA and diagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic. I was terrified with the prospect of having to inject myself - but you will be able to cope. Like Northerner says, the needles are small, I use a pen device rather than a syringe and luckily for me, the injections aren't into veins. Trust me, it isn't as bad as it seems - it will just become something that you do. take a big deep breath - things will be ok. If you need advice there are plenty of good folk on here with lots of experience who will be more than happy to give their support - don't be afraid to ask. Good luck.

Agreeing with everyone previously - the needles used for insulin injections are tiny, nothing like anything you've been injected with for any other reason eg immunisations, taking blood from vein etc. I too have been on insulin since diagnosis, as a young adult - 12 years now.

The only other area to mention, is that if you have a driving licence, you must inform DVLA that you are starting insulin and you will lose the right to anything other than car or motorbike and will only be allowed to drive a minibus as a volunteer (not for hire or monetary gain). And it does affect some employment options. Sorry, that's bad news, but it might not affect you as much as it did me.

Hi Dawn,

Going onto insulin is a big step for anyone. But as the others have said before me it is not a thing to be scared of. The jabs themselves are pretty easy to do and have come on leaps and bounds in the past 13 years that I have been type one for. I barely remember anything about diagnosis seeing as I was five at the time. All I recall is that I was on syringes for a few years then moved onto pens (I suspect that you will be put straight onto pens) which are very pleasant to inject with.

Tom H

if is ok for children i am sure it will be all rightfor you as well think positive all the best

differences for adults and children starting insulin

Starting insulin is different for adults and children eg while they have schools and parents to look after them or perhaps extra problems cause by schools, children don't have to cope with DVLA / driving, work restrictions (perhaps even forced into complete change of career), partner etc - at least not at the same time as diagnosis. While most children are very seriously ill immediately before starting insulin, the onset is generally a bit slower for adults eg Dawn has been taking tablets for 5 years.

So, for adults, best to cope with the change gradually and carefully, with support from anywhere you can get it, including health professionals, significant others, work colleagues, fellow hobbyists, fellow sportspeople, people on these boards etc.

For some children it is very hard. I know of 3 children under 7 who have had to move schools due to their schools saying them need to have full responsibility of all aspects of diabetes care themselves (at 5!). Another is now home educated after 4 years of being bullied by teachers and other children and then getting into trouble for it, all down to diabetes. They have just won at the SENDIST tribunal against the school and LEA. Others are banned from swimming lessons at school and have to watch their friends, others are just banned from all days out and school holidays. It is awful.

I think it is as hard for children as it is for adults, they are just different problems.

I think diabetes in general, 1 or 2 or gestational or any other is very very hard. I admire all of you completely in all aspects of diabetes. I can't pretend to know how you feel, I only know how a mother feels when their child has type 1 and other problems. I think it's great that you are all here for each other and alongside the parents as well and no-one judges one another.

Thanks
Adrienne🙂

For some children it is very hard. I know of 3 children under 7 who have had to move schools due to their schools saying them need to have full responsibility of all aspects of diabetes care themselves (at 5!). Another is now home educated after 4 years of being bullied by teachers and other children and then getting into trouble for it, all down to diabetes. They have just won at the SENDIST tribunal against the school and LEA. Others are banned from swimming lessons at school and have to watch their friends, others are just banned from all days out and school holidays. It is awful.

I think it is as hard for children as it is for adults, they are just different problems.

I think diabetes in general, 1 or 2 or gestational or any other is very very hard. I admire all of you completely in all aspects of diabetes. I can't pretend to know how you feel, I only know how a mother feels when their child has type 1 and other problems. I think it's great that you are all here for each other and alongside the parents as well and no-one judges one another.

Thanks
Adrienne🙂
Hi Adrienne, i know that some children are being 'left out ' of school activites - but i have to say that my sons school has been absoluteley amazing! They have never complained ( 10 weeks diagnosed) and , in fact, there is a school trip planned for this week and before i rang to offer to go as a helper - they had already done a risk assessment and the first aider had volunteered to go on the trip himself to look after my son! i do realise though that we are incredibily lucky and i feel so sorry for the children who dont get this sort of help at school - its bad enough when your child is diagnosed with diabetes with all the worry that goes with it - parents shouldnt have to worry about school being helpful aswell! Bev

Hi Bev

I am very lucky as well with my daughter's school. We moved area so have had two school to deal with and they are fantastic. She has one to one as she is slightly more complication than the normal type 1, she has no pancreas so a whole other ball game. One friend had to take her 6 year old out of school and found another school 2 miles up the road who are fantastic. It all really seems to depend on the head teacher's attitude and whether they listen and are willing to help. If the head is not up to it then the school tend to follow, this has been the experiences of lots of people. The newspapers are always asking our group for stories and name and shame schools but if the child is still at the bad school, then the parents don't want to name and shame as it will affect the school. It's hard out there for some families and it is affecting more children than people realise.

Adrienne:confused:

Why isnt this sort of behaviour called 'discrimination'? It is, as far as i am concerned - and i think a lot of the general public would agree with me! I am fairly certan that a criminal in prison would have the right to all manner of medical help ( in case it affects his human rights) - but a child who is attending school for education purposes is 'treated' in such an appalling manner and not allowed to go on educational trips, or there is no-one appointed to oversee a young child administer his/her insulin? Surely there is something in the disability act that should stop this sort of discrimination? Bev

Hi Bev

It is covered by the Disability Dicrimination Act. The problem stems from the fact that the school do not have to, by law, administer or assist injections, finger pricks or anything. They do have to make reasonable adjustments and this can be argued that if they do not have any staff willing to help, they have to provide someone but that is it really. The families who go to a SENDIST tribunal often don't win and when they do, they generally get apologies from the other parties asked for by the tribunal and they can then go and name and shame in the media but otherwise that is about it. The reason the families I know went to SENDIST is to hopefully highlight that there are more bad schools than people realise out there and this is the consequence for them.

The UK Children with Diabetes Advocacy Group (parents of type 1 children) are doing all they can to turn things around but it is a long hard struggle.

If you look at www.childrenwithdiabetesuk.org you will see lots about school etc and what should be expected but it is a lottery as to whether you get a good school or not.

It has got to the point that some parents don't care about education and just want their child to be safe at school. It doesn't help when some DSN's don't help matters and say no need to test at school if you don't want to, to the schools, when at home that is what the regime is. You can't leave diabetes at home. One DSN actually said to someone, can you take your pump off when you go to school !!!!!!!

Ah well, the fight goes on and I think it will for a long while yet.

Hi Dawn,

Its a shock being told you need to inject, however, as everyone else has said, there isn't anything to worry about, the needles are an incredible thing, so, so small and there is far less pain than pricking your finger for a blood test!

The best advice I was given, from both a hygiene and comfort perspective was to use a new needle every injection, some say its a waste and they can last for many injections, they do blunten each time they are used and your comfort is most important.

Hope you're soon feeling better and find injecting isn't so daunting - I prefer to do it myself than have someone else inject me!

David

Dear Dawn,

The advice given by all previous posts is excellent and you will find, I'm sure, that it is not as bad as you imagine. However, there are a number of Type 2s on this forum that control their blood sugar by using a low carb diet. Why don't you talk with your Doc and ask if it is viable for you? If you do try it, it is not an easy option but some people can make it work. I have, and have been diabetic for over 15 years.

Regards Dodger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back