New To Injecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am type 2 and 51 years old. I take 3 x 850 metformin, 4 x 80 gliclazide and 1 x sitigliptin per day at the moment. From the 9th April after I have had an appointment to see the insulin experts (as put to me at the diabetic clinic) I will lose the sitigliptin and start injecting lantus once per day and still take the metformin and gliclazide.

I am obviously a little bit worried/sceptical about this but know that I need it. Can anybody give me any tips/hints for when I start the injections please.

Thanks and regards.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Nothing to worry about! I have been on lantus since diagnosis last May. No need to worry about the needles - they are tiny and most of the time I don't feel a thing when injecting. Occasionally, the lantus can sting a little - feels sort of like when you have a graze and get soapy water on it (to me, anyway!), but it's very minor. You'll very quickly get used to it and hardly think about it, I'm sure!:)

I am type 2 and 51 years old. I take 3 x 850 metformin, 4 x 80 gliclazide and 1 x sitigliptin per day at the moment. From the 9th April after I have had an appointment to see the insulin experts (as put to me at the diabetic clinic) I will lose the sitigliptin and start injecting lantus once per day and still take the metformin and gliclazide.

I am obviously a little bit worried/sceptical about this but know that I need it. Can anybody give me any tips/hints for when I start the injections please.

Thanks and regards.

Andy
Hi Andy, I was in a similar position to you and started Lantus in early February. I continued my metformin and gliclizide and struggled a bit at first but I think mainly due to poor injection technique. However I persevered and am now using 40 U lantus at night and my control has improved no end. I feel so much better as well. I'm due to check my HbA1C shortly but I'm expecting a big improvement. It's well worth the effort. I've not had any problems with hypos and just increased my dose slowly using my fasting BMs as a guide aiming for between 5 and 7mmol.
Hope this helps. Best wishes. Badger

Thanks Badger and Northerner. It all helps and puts my mind at ease. I know that once I start it I will be 100% better and wished I had been on it from the start I am sure.

The needles don't bother me but the potential hypos do as I am divorced and live on my own but I am sure that I will be fine.

Regards.

Thanks Badger and Northerner. It all helps and puts my mind at ease. I know that once I start it I will be 100% better and wished I had been on it from the start I am sure.

The needles don't bother me but the potential hypos do as I am divorced and live on my own but I am sure that I will be fine.

Regards.

I think you'll be fine. They'll build up your dose in order to get a good basal level without you going hypo. I live alone too so it can be a concern at times, but I have either slept through any hypos I've had (I feel headachy the following day) or I wake, test and treat with jelly babies and biscuits. During the day I usually feel symptoms coming on so can take action. Most of my hypos have been from the fast-acting insulin (novorapid) rather than the lantus - either injected too much or due to increased sensitivity/activity levels. You just need to monitor things closely and find out how best to manage things for your own particular needs.

Andy, I can agree with everything that has been said. I was a medication regime similar to what you described and I started of Lantus 5 weeks ago.

Don't worry at all - you will be fine.

Feel free to drop me a line if you require more info

Hazel

To my great suprise I found when I first started injecting it wasnt half as bad as I thought. And then it got even easier when I was put on smaller needles and I developed a much better technique. I think it would be fair to say that once you get going on it, there are very few times I even feel the injection.

Good luck! I hope all goes well x

Thanks Hazel and sugarbum. I am sure it will be ok. I just want to get on with it now and start getting in to the routine of injecting.

I will probably be back for more advice when I start,

Many thanks and regards.

Andy

Andy - hope the start on insulin goes well - it will probably imprive your blood glucose control and you'll feel better overall. As others have said, you'll start on low doses an dgradually build up, your technique will improve, and you should be taught about varying dose when you have reached your normal level.
However, I should remind you of one potential down point, which should have been mentioned by your diabetes team already - you must inform DVLA if you hold any driving licence. They will probably reissue you with a 3, 2 or 1 year licence (renewable) for cars, motorbikes, but not minibuses, vans or HGVs. You should probably inform your employer, depending on your type of work.

I found that starting insulin was much easier than I thought. And i felt so much better once my levels came down.
I started on lantus 6 units and then spoke to my DSN every other day initially who helped my increase my dose by 2 units every 3 days until it was at a good level.

they should be in close contact with you to help you afjust your dose until it controls your blood sugar. Not sure how good your GP is at giving you test strips, but once on insulin you need to test to before driving so will need enough to do that in addition to the other tests you do

Thanks everybody for your helpful and positive replies/hints. They are very valued and hopefully will help me next week when I start on the insulin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back