New to forum but not diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tilly floss

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas. I've been a type 2 for about seven years, just started seeing a diabetic nurse 3 months ago and a dietician yesterday. The dietician told me portion control and no bread, rice,pasta and a few others I can't remember. He didn't ask any questions at all.
About me, I'm 59, I eat about 1500 calories a day and do approximately 740 to 1000 minutes of exercise a week. I can't eat full meal like breakfast, dinner and tea. Still can't lose any weight.

Your dietician is partially right in that portion control is important but what you eat also will have an impact. Many people are unable to tolerate bread, rice and pasta but also potatoes, breakfast cereals, pastry and the obvious cakes, biscuits and some fruits and fruit juice. It is not just sugar but all carbohydrates that convert to glucose.
However it depends on what your HbA1C is as to how restrictive you need to be on your carb intake.
Basing meals on meat, fish, eggs, cheese, dairy, vegetables, salads, fruit like berries with only small portions of any of the high carb foods. Meals based on protein and healthy fats but which are low carb works for many but that does not mean NO carbs.
Have a look at this link as it might help you find a way of modifying your diet, it is a low carb approach with REAL food which many have found successful in losing weight and reducing blood glucose.
https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
Low carb is suggested as being less than 130g total carbs per day.
Some people find a low calorie regime works for them but that is usually less than 1000 per day or some find a shakes-based approach can give them a kick start but trying to both watch carb intake and calories at the same time is difficult.

Your dietician is partially right in that portion control is important but what you eat also will have an impact. Many people are unable to tolerate bread, rice and pasta but also potatoes, breakfast cereals, pastry and the obvious cakes, biscuits and some fruits and fruit juice. It is not just sugar but all carbohydrates that convert to glucose.
However it depends on what your HbA1C is as to how restrictive you need to be on your carb intake.
Basing meals on meat, fish, eggs, cheese, dairy, vegetables, salads, fruit like berries with only small portions of any of the high carb foods. Meals based on protein and healthy fats but which are low carb works for many but that does not mean NO carbs.
Have a look at this link as it might help you find a way of modifying your diet, it is a low carb approach with REAL food which many have found successful in losing weight and reducing blood glucose.
https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
Low carb is suggested as being less than 130g total carbs per day.
Some people find a low calorie regime works for them but that is usually less than 1000 per day or some find a shakes-based approach can give them a kick start but trying to both watch carb intake and calories at the same time is difficult.
Thanks for the reply, but I think I might not have explained very well. I am getting very tired on 1500 a day because my sport takes alot of energy. I have also tried 800 cals a day and I managed two weeks. I ended up exhausted.

Thanks for the reply, but I think I might not have explained very well. I am getting very tired on 1500 a day because my sport takes alot of energy. I have also tried 800 cals a day and I managed two weeks. I ended up exhausted.
You may be better then at not going with a calorie restricted regime but look at the low carb option, with plenty of protein and healthy fats.
What sport do you do?

Hi and welcome from me too.

It may also be that you are exhausted because your Blood Glucose (BG) levels are high....
Do you know your latest HbA1c result? This is the blood test used to diagnose and monitor your diabetes and will usually be a number in excess of 47 but can be up into 3 figures if things have gone badly awry.
Do you have a BG meter to test your own levels at home?
Have you been given any medication?
I am wondering if the referral to the dietician is because your levels have suddenly increased.

Getting energy from other food sources when you reduce carbs can take time for your body to adjust so you do have to make some allowance for that but once your levels are in range and your body is adjusted to having less carbs you can be just as active if not more so. I am certainly fitter and healthier now that I have cut the carbs right down to just the stuff you get in a bit of fruit and low carb veg and dairy produce and my body happily runs on fat and protein now instead of mostly carbs.

I did low calorie.
But if you have tried it, and it doesn't work, as said, there are certainly other options to move onto.
You have to find the way that works for you.
There is certainly a wealth of knowledge on this site.

Sorry to hear you are finding things so tough @Tilly floss

Especially as you are working so hard on controlling calories and keeping active. :(

We have some forum members who thrive on low caloris approaches, see the expected weight loss, and improvements in BG levels.

Others seem to be especially sensitive to carbohydrates (not just sugars), and need to focus on their restriction, making up the calorie deficit with fats and proteins, which help them feel full, Nd can also be converted to glucose for fuel if carb intake is low.

Do you monitor your own levels at home? Or can you remember your most recent HbA1c? These might help to show if your tiredness might be connected to high glucose levels as @rebrascora has suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back