New to forum and want clear and concise comparison of GCM's and pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeenB

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Hi,

I am new to this forum...our granddaughter was diagnosed as Type 1 last week, and we are looking to support her and the family. I am looking for a clear and concise comparison of GCM's and pumps, and will appreciate any guidance available...

Hi & welcome to the forum. I have used 3 insulin pumps Accu Chek insight, Omnipod and now Medtronic 670g. I have also used Libre, Dexcom G6 and now use guardian sensors.

Accu Chek insight pump was small and light but very slow handset and was difficult to manage my pump with, It also gave me lots of errors and I didn't feel comfortable using it.

Omnipod was a tubeless pump and was small whilst wearing it but hand a chunky handset ( Ominpod Dash has a smaller handset and is more like a mobile phone) great pump, but wanted to move to a hybrid system where my CGM and pump talk.

Medtronic 670G is a fantastic hybrid pump, it runs with Guardian sensors and can go into a thing called auto mode, it changes the insulin every 5 minutes to match what your CGM says. It doesn't correct your highs but it can turn insulin of for lows / adjust insulin if going high.

Any other questions please feel free to ask.

Hi @DeenB

Just in case you didn’t pick this up from the other thread when your post was moved I have included the info about the pumps here.

Hi Deen

I will ask that this is moved to the pumping thread and in your own post as you are likely to get a higher response.

I am a pump user but have only used a Combo so far. All the different pumps have various pros and cons but they all do the same basics, with just their own quirks. However they fall into two main categories
  • Patch pumps which are tubeless with an integrated cannula. These are stuck directly on to the user.
  • Tubed pumps where a cannula is connected to the pump via a tube. This is what I use as I like to be able to put my pump wherever I want, whilst the cannula is in my tummy.
Some of these pumps can then be linked to a continuous glucose sensor.

I have used Roche pumps throughout so far and found their support is excellent. I am listed to have an Insight pump next which will switch from using their handset which is reported to be slow and will be paired with a phone using an app called MySugr. That should overcome issues that have been raised before about that pump.

I am also waiting to hear whether I can hang on and get a Medtronic 780 for my next one instead. This will have the Bluetooth connection which I like. It means I never need to get my pump out during the day as everything is done through a handset or phone, and it also can be used with sensors as a CGM. Many have to self fund the sensors and I do not know what age they are offered to.

There are a variety of comparative tables of the pumps and the best I have found is on the JDRF site by the group Input. (If I was tech I could put the link in but ...). Each pump has a warranty for four years. At present things are changing fast with many options on offer.

A good book for your granddaughter’s parents would be Pumping Insulin which gives excellent explanations about these. It has recently been updated and is well worth getting the latest edition.
I hope that helps.

I have an Accu check Insight and I am very comfortable with it. the only item on my wish list is speedier bolus calculations (by the time it has worked it out I have often moved onto something else to do. But it is only seconds, not minutes tbqh!)

I think all the pumps will have different advantages and disadvantages, but the availability of each will to a large extent depend on what the local authority are prepared to offer.

Diabetes tech charity INPUT (now part of JDRF) used to keep a compare-and-contrast set of user reviews. It’s not being updated any more, but still includes several current models, and some useful thoughts about the options

It appears that The Omnipod is popular amongst young people, as it's tubeless.
I have the accuchek insight and very happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back