New to diabetes

nicholas

High in confused have been told high blood sugar after blood test given blood sugar tee2. And have readings of 5.4 6.7 9.1 13.6 above10 not sure what is normal

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
High in confused have been told high blood sugar after blood test given blood sugar tee2. And have readings of 5.4 6.7 9.1 13.6 above10 not sure what is normal
Welcome to the forum @nicholas

Who was it who told you that you had high BG? Was that from a blood test taken at your GP surgery?

When were the readings taken with the Tee2? All at the same tomes of day on different days? Or at random times?

It’s important to recognise that home BG meters are not rated for diagnostic purposes, but having said that they can give a good idea of how well your body copes with food (or how much it sometimes struggles).

In general terms the guidance is for BG to be between 4 and 7 before meals, and no higher than 8.5 by 2 hours after eating.

nicholas

was from blood test done at doctors diabetic nurse rang me and said results were high thanks for the information the result before meal is usaly between 5.9 but on occasion has 8.6 the readings 2hrs after meal range from 6.9 to 13.6 has been highest have asked nurse to get back in touch with me its worrying time

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
was from blood test done at doctors diabetic nurse rang me and said results were high thanks for the information the result before meal is usaly between 5.9 but on occasion has 8.6 the readings 2hrs after meal range from 6.9 to 13.6 has been highest have asked nurse to get back in touch with me its worrying time
Hi, Nicholas. Welcome to the Forum.

It's good that you're testing as Type 2s are generally told that it isn't necessary. However, we all find it invaluable for managing our diabetes. Keep it up. It will tell you how well you're doing. Avoid doing random tests, though, as these won't provide you with anything meaningful. Instead test on waking (before you eat or drink anything), just before a meal and two hours afterwards.

When were you diagnosed, and did they put you on medication?

Martin

Toucan

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello Martin, and welcome from me as well.
As @Anitram says, it is good to know that you have a meter and can test your blood sugar levels as this will enable you to find out what foods are best for you to eat, and what foods spike your blood sugars.

If you want to read a little more about self-testing then test-review-adjust may be useful.
Many of us find that we need to reduce carbohydrates. As well as sugary things this includes things like pasta, rice, flour and potatoes. BUT we are all different and tolerance to different foods vary, so you need to find out what works for you.

There is much more information available of the forum, so please ask and we will always try to help.
Another good source of information is the 'learning zone' on the orange tab at the top of this page.

nicholas

I have not been told this all steme from gp blood test the nurse put me on pre diabetes referral ics but its a telephone group conversation I cant hear whats been said .my mother had diabetes it was what shortened her life I asked for tester as I know about what my mother had .I am alittle disappointed with nurse at gp that's why I have asked her to give me a response to my readings as some of them seem high to me and a number of times have felt odd .I aprreiate the help here would it be wise to visit have docs appointment

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am alittle disappointed with nurse at gp that's why I have asked her to give me a response to my readings as some of them seem high to me and a number of times have felt odd .I aprreiate the help here would it be wise to visit have docs appointment
Are you trying to get a phone appointment @nicholas?

Sounds like that would be very helpful for you. But feel free to keep asking questions on the forum in the meantime :)

nicholas

it a private company ics and with 16 people having group conversation I cant follow it the first hr is free but any additional is charged I cant hear what being said to much interference yes I'm hoping the nurse will contact me as I posted worries on practice site takes 3 days for reply ill see what happens