New to Diabetes

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Had been a stable pre-diabetic for YEARS (hovering around HbA1c 43/44) -- but this year I took my hand off the steering wheel, and now my HbA1c is 51.
Am really appreciative there is so much emotional and practical support now. Glad to be here.
I don't think my mum got the same when she went through this 20 years ago. <3

Last edited:
Hi @yesitsrunsinmyfamily and a warm welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry you've had to join us truly, but I'm glad you've found us. Have you had a conversation with your GP yet? 51 is quite low on the 'scale' so could potentially be reduced without meds if you and your doctor would decide to go down that route and were looking to change things.

Had been a stable pre-diabetic for YEARS (hovering around HbA1c 43/44) -- but this year I took my hand off the steering wheel, and now my HbA1c is 51.
Am really appreciative there is so much emotional and practical support now. Glad to be here.
I don't think my mum got the same when she went through this 20 years ago. <3
Welcome, hopefully you will find help here which will give you confidence to make some changes to your diet and perhaps try to get a bit more exercise.
Many find a low carb approach successful in reducing blood glucose and it should be perfectly possible to get yours down from 51mmol/ml.
This link should help you find a suitable dietary regime. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
By following the principal in the link I managed to reduce from 50 to 42 in 3 months with no medication which my GP was willing for me to try. So hopefully yours will as well.

Hello, welcome to the forum. Like you say, it's a great place to get support.
My story is similar, I have annual well woman checks because of being on HRT. My hba1c has been 42 for the last couple of years and then this year was 56 (52 on the confirmation hba1c three weeks later). I'm managing it with the low carb approach @Leadinglights mentions above. I also mix that with some fasting too.

I have my repeat hba1c in November and am hoping to at least be in the pre-diabetic range again. There is such a lot of lived expertise here, I hope it helps you as much as it has helped me.

Hello, welcome to the forum. Like you say, it's a great place to get support.
My story is similar, I have annual well woman checks because of being on HRT. My hba1c has been 42 for the last couple of years and then this year was 56 (52 on the confirmation hba1c three weeks later). I'm managing it with the low carb approach @Leadinglights mentions above. I also mix that with some fasting too.

I have my repeat hba1c in November and am hoping to at least be in the pre-diabetic range again. There is such a lot of lived expertise here, I hope it helps you as much as it has helped me.
Thanks for sharing. And have just downloaded that red, amber, green pdf from the website mentioned -- I think one problem is I know what I need to do but doing it is harder. :confused:

Back