New to Diabetes!

Callymc74

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi my name is Claire and I was diagnosed January 23, since then I have coped with the condition and changed my lifestyle, I went away 3 weeks ago and caught a virus, since then I have struggled with my blood sugar levels to the point I went to see a doctor who told me to give it 4 weeks before seeing it settle, I know I have another week to go, but has anyone else experienced this?

Hi Claire and welcome.

Can you tell us a bit about how your diagnosis originally came about? Were you symptomatic and if so which symptoms or was it picked up during a routine blood test or perhaps some other means?

Do you know what your HbA1c was at diagnosis and has it come down much with the lifestyle changes you have made.

It sounds like you are testing your BG at home. What sort of levels were you getting before the virus and what are they now?

How frequently do you test and do you follow a testing strategy ie before and 2 hours after meals or are you just randomly testing or some other system?

What if any medication are you on to help manage your diabetes?

Hi my name is Claire and I was diagnosed January 23, since then I have coped with the condition and changed my lifestyle, I went away 3 weeks ago and caught a virus, since then I have struggled with my blood sugar levels to the point I went to see a doctor who told me to give it 4 weeks before seeing it settle, I know I have another week to go, but has anyone else experienced this?
Welcome to the forum. It can take a while for the body to recover from a virus and people often have to be a bit more strict on their carb intake to keep blood glucose down. It will of course depend on what, if any medication you are taking as to how much reduction in your carb intake you can make. Keeping well hydrated is important.
What type of virus was it, respiratory or gastric.

Sorry to hear your levels have gone a bit AWOL since your illness @Callymc74

Hope things begin to settle for you. How long did the virus last? Was it a stomach bug or more like a cold/flu thing?

Back