New to Diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom.

Dear All.
I was diagnosed with diabetes two weeks ago. Not told much in the Doctor's Surgery. Given a testing kit and a prescription for Empagliflozin tablets. Difficult learning period. Is it possible to sit down and speak to someone about the various queries that I have please?
Regards
Tom.

Hi and welcome.

It is very normal to feel totally overwhelmed at first and unfortunately primary care support is, in some cases, not as good as we would like. The main benefit of this forum here is that we can ask questions of others who have been there and got the T-shirt, so if you don't mind doing some typing, we are happy to try and help you here from our own experience or as suggested, ring the helpline at the top RHS of the screen tomorrow... or in fact do both if you like.

Dear All.
I was diagnosed with diabetes two weeks ago. Not told much in the Doctor's Surgery. Given a testing kit and a prescription for Empagliflozin tablets. Difficult learning period. Is it possible to sit down and speak to someone about the various queries that I have please?
Regards
Tom.
It will help people answer any questions you have if you give a little bit more information about your diagnosis. Your HbA1C for example and if you have weight to lose.
The medication you have been prescribed encourages your kidneys to excrete excess glucose via urine so it is important to drink plenty, 3 litres per day I think is suggested and also to look out for UTI as that can be an issue for some people.
However dietary changes are also going to be crucial, no good taking a medication which removes excess glucose if you are still eating high carbohydrate foods which will be converted into more glucose.
Many find a low carbohydrate approach to managing blood glucose is successful and this link may help with some ideas for modifying your diet. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
Other people find a low calorie or shakes-based regime works for them but whatever you choose has to to be enjoyable otherwise it will not be sustainable.
It is good you have a monitor but it is important you make good use of it to get information which you can act on.

You may find the Diabetes Uk Helpline useful. Their number is at the top of every page. I do not think it is manned during the weekend.

Yes the Helpline would be a great way to chat things through with one of the lovely trained advisers. The Helpline runs Monday-Friday 9am-6pm.

Have you been told what type of diabetes you have? Or are they still running additional checks?

If you have an idea which type of diabetes you have, you may also find the Learning Zone helpful, which is packed full of bite-sized modules that you can work through gradually.

Diabetes can feel a bit overwhelming at first, so be kind to yourself and take things gradually. It’s a marathon not a sprint 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back