New to Diabetes UK site

Old Bob

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello everyone, I am new to the site, although I have been diabetic for nearly 25 years. I am in my 60's and starting to show some signs that us older long term diabetics get.
My latest issue appears to be Charcot Foot, I had never heard of this until one day I was walking my 2 dogs, and my foot cracked a bone. I couldn't believe it, I walk 6 - 9 miles a day, wear walking boots and on a tarmac foot path, without twisting or anything odd, a bone breaks.
I came to the conclusion I don't know as much as I thought I did, so had better join the forum to improve my awareness.
I look forwards to reading some of your experiences.

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Welcome!

Someone who posts regularly often posts about Charcot Foot but for the life of me I can’t remember who it is or I’d tag them.

Apart from the bone issue how are you doing managing your diabetes?

Old Bob

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
HBa1C's had gone up recently, following changing from Launtus to Levemir, just convinced Doc to reverse and put me back on Launtus, was always 6.9 - 7.5 in old money, went up on last 3 tests 9.8 regularly high in the mornings now, needed to go back or onto something that works better for me.
How are you coping?

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I’m fine pretty much. Was only diagnosed at the start of the year and prescribed metformin.
I’ve lost two stone and bloods are pretty stable at high fours to low sixes mainly.
I’m going to drop more weight and then request another HbA1C test from the surgery to see what’s what but it should have improved.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
No problem @Old Bob.

You might find @flower’s charcot foot blog an interesting read

Flower

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello and welcome @Old Bob glad you’ve joined us :)

Sorry to read you’ve been diagnosed with Charcot Foot. It is quite a rare complication but very frightening and worrying when it happens often out of the blue. I hope you’re being monitored by podiatry/multi foot clinic- really difficult during a pandemic.

Are you weight bearing on your foot or on crutches? Really hope things mend as quickly and as well as possible for you . Best wishes

Old Bob

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello and welcome @Old Bob glad you’ve joined us :)

Sorry to read you’ve been diagnosed with Charcot Foot. It is quite a rare complication but very frightening and worrying when it happens often out of the blue. I hope you’re being monitored by podiatry/multi foot clinic- really difficult during a pandemic.

Are you weight bearing on your foot or on crutches? Really hope things mend as quickly and as well as possible for you . Best wishes
Hi Flower

Thanks for your response, I am currently using a load spreading boot and a walking stick, but mostly resting it.
Because I hadn't heard of it before, I read the medical reports about it, but hearing your journey with it has been so much more informative, I can't imagine what you've gone through, especially as you were so young to suffer from it, I'm hoping to manage it so I don't have to go through the same. Your story has really opened my eyes, so once again thank you.
Best wishes