Status
Not open for further replies.

delanda

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi everyone,
I'm in the process of being checked for diabetes, doctors are pretty definite I have it but are investigating which type. I have been prescribed Metformin, Gliclazide and given a blood glucose monitor but I'm waiting on a second set of blood test results and I also need to provide a urine sample. The thing Is, I am 24 years old, not overweight, have a pretty good diet and work on my feet all day. I have no family history, and I've even had family members who struggled with obesity and had to have surgery but we're never diagnosed diabetic. I've just checked my medical records and the nurse said my BMI was 22 but keytones were 0.4. My understanding is that that means I'm not overweight but it's also likely not type 1?
It has already taken a very long time to be investigated for diabetes, which was actually discovered by persisting yeast infections but these were ongoing for around a year, I wondered if diabetes type 1.5 or 3c were a likely possibility or if people could tell me more about them? I'm just very unsure how it could be type 2 however maybe I'm misinformed about it.

You have not mentioned anything that will rule out Type 1. And LADA is just Type 1 diagnosed as an adult. It tends to come on slower as an adult so can be misdiagnosed as type 2.
Type 3c is diabetes due to damage to your pancreas.

What tests are you waiting for? Are these c-peptide and GAD? These are what are usually used to determine you have Type 1.
Don't get hung up on whether there is a history of diabetes in your family. It is not uncommon to have no history.

Whilst waiting for your results, it might be worth purchasing a box of ketostix. Undiagnosed Type 1 is at risk of DKA (probably why you were tested for ketones previously) so worth keeping an eye on your ketones

There are 9ther types of diabetes such as MODY which may be worth considering but only after getting results from your latest tests.

You have not mentioned anything that will rule out Type 1. And LADA is just Type 1 diagnosed as an adult. It tends to come on slower as an adult so can be misdiagnosed as type 2.
Type 3c is diabetes due to damage to your pancreas.

What tests are you waiting for? Are these c-peptide and GAD? These are what are usually used to determine you have Type 1.
Don't get hung up on whether there is a history of diabetes in your family. It is not uncommon to have no history.

Whilst waiting for your results, it might be worth purchasing a box of ketostix. Undiagnosed Type 1 is at risk of DKA (probably why you were tested for ketones previously) so worth keeping an eye on your ketones

There are 9ther types of diabetes such as MODY which may be worth considering but only after getting results from your latest tests.
It says on my medical record it was for a repeat Repeat Hba1c and C peptide. My last Repeat Hba1c was 93mmol - apologies if I am misusing terminology I'm new to this. It just seems as though my symptoms don't align with type 1. My understanding was that if I was type 1 I would get very ill quickly and extreme weight loss. Anyway, thank you, I probably just need to wait on more results.

Yes, the only way you will know is when you get the results. Your symptoms/ presentation do not sit strongly in type 1 (1,5) or 2.
More people have type 2 (about 90%), fewer type 1 and the other types less.
Let us know when you find out and we will also be here to help with any questions.

It says on my medical record it was for a repeat Repeat Hba1c and C peptide. My last Repeat Hba1c was 93mmol - apologies if I am misusing terminology I'm new to this. It just seems as though my symptoms don't align with type 1. My understanding was that if I was type 1 I would get very ill quickly and extreme weight loss. Anyway, thank you, I probably just need to wait on more results.
The C-peptide test will help but there is also another test which is done in conjunction with that which is to test for GAD antibodies but the results of that often take several weeks to come back. That might be something worth asking for if you don't get a clear answer.
If it is Type 2 then although you may thing you have a healthy diet it may not be so when your body has problems metabolising carbohydrates.
This link may be worth you looking at just to prepare you for what may be needed.https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
However you need to be careful when making changes because of the medication you have been prescribed, your monitor should help there. But as you don't need to lose weight making sure you eat enough protein and healthy fats will help to stop that happening.
Many dietary approaches for Type 2 are focused on the usual need to lose weight.
I hope you get some answers soon.

It just seems as though my symptoms don't align with type 1. My understanding was that if I was type 1 I would get very ill quickly and extreme weight loss.
Diagnosis of Type 1 comes on quickly as a child. This is not the case as an adult where the symptoms can come on slower which is why it is often misdiagnosed as type 2.

I am a sample of one but I will explain my "journey to Type 1" as an example. I was in my mid 30s, run down, not sleeping well, had a few infections over the previous months which had, unusually for me, lingered. Suddenly, I started needing the loo a lot. After a week of this, 8 went to the GP who diagnosed UTI and put me on antibiotics. Nothing improved over the next 2 weeks despite completing the antibiotics so I went back to see another doc. She did a urine test and found high BG. This was in the days before c-peptide and GAD tests were used by GPs so my, unscientific diagnosis was "despite your age, you are too slim to have type 2 so you must have Type 1." Thankfully, this was correct and I soon returned to my usual bouncy, infection-free self with insulin.

I'm also a little bit scared to eat things at the moment as well, I measured my blood sugar yesterday evening and it was at 21 mmol before dinner, I hadn't eaten in almost 5 hours, and had only had water so I was quite hungry but nervous to eat. I went for a run and that actually helped a bit, it went down to 14 but that's still high, tested this morning and it was 15 before any food, only one cup of sugar free black tea.

Hi and welcome from me too.

You really need to push them to give you insulin. Those levels are far to high and things could turn nasty very quickly. Get back onto your nurse and tell them how worried you are and afraid to eat when levels are so high before a meal.
Personally I don't think it is good for you to run when your levels are up at 20 as it puts a strain on your body. A walk would be a better idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back