New to BG testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolA

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have now had my BG meter for a whole day, and I know I need more data, but I thought I would ask an opinion on the results I have so far. My waking (well, getting up) BG seems to be high (over 10). Before a meal, 7.9, and two hours after that meal, 8.1. I am not sure what these figures mean. They are all too high, I know….but how much too high? Also, I have a small bruise at every finger prick site…..I am going to run out of fingers soon!

If you have a bruise then you are most likely pricking too deep or squeezing when you shouldn't really need to, slight pressure is all that should be needed. Where are you pricking. I find just to the side of the pad is a good place. If you put your thumb onto the pad of the finger and prick just at the side of that, you can then press gently with the thumb.
Yes you are going to need more data to make conclusions, but do keep a good record of what you are eating as well.
Morning readings are often the last to come down and are usually lower if taken actually in bed before you get up.
You are aiming at 4-7 mmol/l before meals and no more than an increase of 2-3mmol/ 2hours post meal so that one reading looks fine for that meal. and within the guidance of no more than 8.5 mmol/l post meal.
Looks to be going well so far.
If you keep up with your low meal increases then your overall level will start to come down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back