New to an insulin monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Familyhelp

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hello. My brother is new to his insulin monitor. We have a large family with lots of children. When the monitor was fitted a month or so ago, it was a novelty (and life changing). The handset that goes with it, which looks like, but isn’t a phone, is also great. He was showing it to the kids, and afterwards was worried that them holding it could’ve affected the administration of insulin. Could picking it up affect this? I’d think not, and would like to alleviate his concerns. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi @Familyhelp and welcome to the forum.

Do you mean a blood glucose monitor rather than an insulin monitor? If so it would help our member to help you if you could tell us which one it is. Could it be a Libra?

Hi @Familyhelp and welcome to the forum.

Do you mean a blood glucose monitor rather than an insulin monitor? If so it would help our member to help you if you could tell us which one it is. Could it be a Libra?
I suspect it’s an insulin pump, as it talks about affecting insulin delivery.

Welcome @Familyhelp Do you mean a blood sugar sensor that is like a small disc or bottle top that goes in the upper arm and measures blood glucose, or do you mean an insulin pump that contains insulin? It’s not clear from your post.

If you mean an insulin pump (an Omnipod maybe?) and you mean he let them touch the control unit, then it’s unlikely they managed to change anything to affect delivery but it’s unwise to let them actually touch and interact with it.

Thank you so much for your hock responses. I think it’s the pump because the device that goes with it looks like a mobile phone. It is this device I’m referring to. Thank you.

Thank you so much for your hock responses. I think it’s the pump because the device that goes with it looks like a mobile phone. It is this device I’m referring to. Thank you.

Ok, so see my post above. It’s not a good idea for anyone to ‘play’ with it, child or adult, as they could inadvertently press something and mess up the insulin delivery. If he thinks this might have happened, he should check his basal rates are correct, and look at his bolus history just for peace of mind.

To be fair, most pumps are designed so that it involves quite a lot of button pushes to administer a dose or change anything significant, and it would be almost impossible to accidentally hit the right combination of buttons in the right order. So probably no harm done this time, but best not to let the children treat it like a toy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back