New Theory About Blood Glucose Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin.A

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Interesting article in today's Daily Mail by the author of a new book Glucose Revolution about managing BG levels, claiming it's not just about what you eat but how and when you eat.

Interesting article in today's Daily Mail by the author of a new book Glucose Revolution about managing BG levels, claiming it's not just about what you eat but how and when you eat.

In the UK people tend to have everything on the same plate but in many countries people eat food in a different way with veg or salad separately from the meat or fish.

She doesn't have diabetes though! Why would it necessarily work the same when you do?

She doesn't have diabetes though! Why would it necessarily work the same when you do?
Interesting that she confirms that non diabetics spike though.
I've read this before, carbs on an empty stomach digest more quickly, carbs on a full stomach are slower.
High fibre foods are better than processed.
Low GI is better than high GI.
Muscle mass improves glucose control.

Doesn't look like s new theory , looks like the Glycemic Index and Glycic Load repackaged.

Hi @Martin.A and others.
Interesting that something like this has hit the mainstream media - though of course her publishers and the vendors of the continuous monitoring device may have encouraged the newspaper's interest...(wink emoji)
I also found that trialling a continuous monitoring device informed me further about how my body / blood glucose behaves in different circumstances, and confirmed a lot of what I had already understood from my GP, others on this forum, and my own research.
This article seems to helpfully bring together a number of diet tricks and research outcomes that are "out there", albeit in the context of losing weight, rather than controlling excessive blood glucose levels. So rather then a new theory, its adding to our understanding.
I suspect her advice might be most relevant to those like you, I and @travellor who are managing Type 2 by diet and exercise, without the intervention of medication. For Type 1s and Type 2s reliant on insulin or other medication, the story may be a little different, owing to the impact of when medication is applied, etc.
Anyway, I found it a great read and something helpful to share with others to help explain my "odd" dietary habits.
Cheers. Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back