New target for the treatment of fatty liver disease discovered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Two proteins, p38 gamma and p38 delta, control the accumulation of fat in the liver, a process linked to the development of insulin resistance and diabetes, which are common outcomes of obesity. These findings are presented in an article published by researchers at the Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Cardiovasculares Carlos III (CNIC). The study, led by Dr. Guadalupe Sabio, shows that inhibition of these proteins with specific inhibitors has potential as a treatment for fatty liver disease. The results are published in the EMBO Journal.

Steatosis, the excessive accumulation of fat in the liver, is one of the most common diseases in developed societies, affecting almost 30% of the adult population. The disease is sometimes caused by obesity, diabetes, or excessive alcohol intake. The consequences can be serious: fatty liver can trigger cirrhosis and hepatic failure, contributes to the development of diabetes, and can lead to liver cancer. There are currently few treatment options for this disease.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/02/160203085843.htm

Eh?

There was only one treatment option I needed!

Eat less fat, eat regular meals, eat healthily and exercise.

Mind you, I was fortunate not to have caused any damage to my liver and my problem was not alcohol related.

My liver is now fully recovered, but I can't take any liberties with it and I rarely drink alcohol now (he says having had two bottles of beer yesterday and a half of ale today!).

Andy 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back