• People with diabetes are currently being contacted to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Should you have any questions about how this might affect your blood sugar levels, then call our Helpline for support and information on managing your diabetes at this time.Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes
  • Are you currently doing less than 30 mins physical activity per week and would like support to help you move more? Get in touch with our Physical Activity Helpline here

New T2 and adjusting

PortDan

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I had the shock of my life this week when visiting my local surgery for a flu jab. I'd been offered a free one which is unusual as I'm only 39 and although Ive had high blood pressure, like most of the men in my family, for a few years it has been under control I had no other conditions or health issues that I knew of.
When I arrived the nurse asked me whether I had spoke to my GP since my last set of routine bloods in Feb as they showed that I had Diabetes.
I was a bit floored by this as nobody had contacted me to suggest anything out of the ordinary and I've had repeat prescriptions since for perindopril without any comment being passed.
It did however ring true as over the past few weeks I've had an episode of thrush which I've not had before and I had noticed that my urine smelled "odd" on a couple of occasions. Combined with what I thought was paranoia about going to the loo quite often....it all made sense.
Bloods were repeated on Tuesday and I got a call from the GP on Wednesday and was in to see him at 9am on Thursday morning.
I'm still trying to get my head around and understand the various readings but I'm sure these will make sense to others more than it does to me at the moment....ive learned that by Abc1(?) In Feb was 50....but this week had hit 96.
Urine sample was tested and GP confirms Type 2 diabetes.
Despite the contact issues notes above, in terms of treatment I think I've probably hit the NHS Postcode lottery as I'm at the Southport surgery behind the best reversal results in the country...so I'm told!
I've got a sensor attached to my arm and an app on my phone to help me understand my blood sugars as I navigate myself through the recommended LCHF diet and try and understand the effects certain foods have on my sugars.
On Thursday morning I was 14.2, after a couple of days readings I seem to be around 10.0 most of the time with foods spiking me up to 12/13 sometimes. Long, long way to go but hopeful that if I can get my diet right and move more that I can control this. My GP seems to be a bit of an expert so I'm hopeful!

Bruce Stephens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
ive learned that by Abc1(?)
HbA1c (or just A1c). (Normal range is 30-41, 42-47 is pre-diabetic and 48 up is diabetic.)
I've got a sensor attached to my arm and an app on my phone to help me understand my blood sugars as I navigate myself through the recommended LCHF diet and try and understand the effects certain foods have on my sugars.
Wow! Seems like you won the postcode lottery. (Those are only prescribed to slightly over 30% or people with Type 1 diabetes.)
However, makes perfect sense for you to have one just while you're beginning. (Similarly, I think it would help for everyone with diabetes to have one before each appointment, just so the team can see the patterns.)

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I had the shock of my life this week when visiting my local surgery for a flu jab. I'd been offered a free one which is unusual as I'm only 39 and although Ive had high blood pressure, like most of the men in my family, for a few years it has been under control I had no other conditions or health issues that I knew of.
When I arrived the nurse asked me whether I had spoke to my GP since my last set of routine bloods in Feb as they showed that I had Diabetes.
I was a bit floored by this as nobody had contacted me to suggest anything out of the ordinary and I've had repeat prescriptions since for perindopril without any comment being passed.
It did however ring true as over the past few weeks I've had an episode of thrush which I've not had before and I had noticed that my urine smelled "odd" on a couple of occasions. Combined with what I thought was paranoia about going to the loo quite often....it all made sense.
Bloods were repeated on Tuesday and I got a call from the GP on Wednesday and was in to see him at 9am on Thursday morning.
I'm still trying to get my head around and understand the various readings but I'm sure these will make sense to others more than it does to me at the moment....ive learned that by Abc1(?) In Feb was 50....but this week had hit 96.
Urine sample was tested and GP confirms Type 2 diabetes.
Despite the contact issues notes above, in terms of treatment I think I've probably hit the NHS Postcode lottery as I'm at the Southport surgery behind the best reversal results in the country...so I'm told!
On Thursday morning I was 14.2, after a couple of days readings I seem to be around 10.0 most of the time with foods spiking me up to 12/13 sometimes. Long, long way to go but hopeful that if I can get my diet right and move more that I can control this. My GP seems to be a bit of an expert so I'm hopeful!
Although Dr. Unwin is thought be some to be an expert on Low Carb. Some think Professor Taylor of the Newcastle diet study, is an expert too.
You have to find what works for you and can maintain long term.

Toucan

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello @PortDan and welcome to the forum.
It sounds like you are getting some very good support, and already showing some good results.
There are several alternatives available, but I have been following a Dr Unwin style plan for a long time and it has worked out well for me.
The main thing is to find a plan that works well for you and that you can sustain over the long term.
You will find plenty of ideas and help on the various pages of the forum, and if there are any particular questions then wwe will always try and answer.
Very best wishes and please let us know how it goes.

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Shocking negligence from your surgery. You could have got down from 50 with a few simple lifestyle changes. Now it's going to a bit harder, but all being well you should still be able do it (I had to come down from 114).

Martin

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
No wonder you are getting the red carpet treatment after being left so long in the dark.
Treating type two can be as simple as reducing the amount of carbohydrate you consume.

If you go with the low carb way of eating you could be back to normal in 6 months, and your sensor should show you the benefits.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @PortDan

Sorry to year about your diagnosis, and the unexpected shock of it.

Hopefully the care and advice you are receiving will help you to successfully manage your diabetes.

If you are going low carb, and find that your levels begin to creep back up again in a year or two’s time after initial successes, it would be worth considering some of the less well-known diabetes types like LADA (which is a slow-onset form of T1 which develops later in life and can intially look a lot like T2).

I’m just aware that your HbA1c rose from just-into-diabetes territory up into nearly-3-figures in a matter on months. With LADA betacells in the pancreas are gradually being nibbled away, and there reaches a point where the remaining betacell mass can no longer keep up with your body’s requirements.

Going low carb can really help, because the need for insulin is lower on a low carb diet... but if the autoimmune system is still reducing beta cells then there will come a point in the future where the remaining cells can no longer keep up.

Good luck and keep us posted with how things go :)

PortDan

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for the messages. I seem to be getting around 7.5 reasonably consistently on my monitor now, going up to 8.5ish with meals but stabilising again not too long after.
I presume they will come down a little lower over time.
I've got a follow up phone call with my GP on Thursday and will see where we go from there.
I'm starting to crave some kind of sweet treat though....is there any confectionery on the market suitable on a low carb diet?

Bruce Stephens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
is there any confectionery on the market suitable on a low carb diet?
Many shops sell a few sugar-free things. I usually have some sugar-free Polo mints on me, for example. (Beware that some are sweetened with sorbitol which is also used in laxatives.)

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
.... consuming sorbitol never actually made me 'go' - but fart - oh yes! LOL

PortDan

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well I'm a week in and my levels seem to have come down quite a bit.
According to my sensor my average for the past few days is 7.1 and i spend 95% of the day "within target" which I set to under 8.5.

BUT....
What should I be aiming for really?

adrian1der

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I se this page - lots of useful targets

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
According to my sensor my average for the past few days is 7.1 and i spend 95% of the day "within target" which I set to under 8.5.

BUT....
Some are suggesting that with more technology the time in target seems to be seen as more aim.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1

BUT....

General guidelines for T2 used to be 4-7 before meals, no higher than 8.5 by 2hours after meals.

In the early days people often find it more helpful to notice the differences between pre-meal and 2hrs after and trying to keep these ‘meal rises’ down to 2-3mmol/L if possible. that wat the actual numbers themselves can come down gradually :)

PortDan

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thought I'd post a bit of an update.
I've been continuing with a low-carb diet and I'm having round 50 g of carbs each day (when I remembered to keep track of it). My blood sugar levels seem to have come right down and the average is now 5.8. I still have a libre sensor and my a1c result is currently predicting 41 which I am pretty pleased with as it shows that I have made significant progress. I don't believe that I will be given any more sensors after my next set of blood tests.
My next actual a1c blood test is booked in for the start of February and it will be interesting to see how close I am to the predicted figure.
I think I have adapted pretty well and know what I should and should not be eating as a rule and I have found a few low carb options for bread replacements such as a lo-dough pizza base and a low carb bread recipe which I seem to be ok with. I have experimented trying different carbs whilst I have the sensor to see how they affect me and I've learnt that small portions of rice and small portions of potatoes don't seem to have a make a great deal of difference but larger quantities obviously do. That's probably the result I expected all along.
I have lost 9 pounds which I am pleased with and generally feel a bit healthier, but there have been a couple of occasions where I have felt hungry and have wondered how I can perhaps pad meals out without adding large quantities of carbs.
Over the past week too I have felt a little light-headed on 2 or 3 occasions in the evening. This generally doesn't last long and I had originally wondered whether this could be the effect of my blood pressure also coming down. my perindopril blood pressure medication has not been reviewed yet, however having started to read Tom Watson's book today and seeing him refer to hypos I now wonder whether this is what has affected me. Checking the results of the sensor I think they possibly do correspond to periods where my levels at drop to 4.something. and if these are hypos what generally should I be doing about it? I knew that increasing exercise too would have an effect and have seen that also seems to bring my sugars quite low...often into the 4s.

I'm pretty pleased that it appears that even if I haven't put my diabetes into remission I am certainly a lot closer to it and I was when I was first diagnosed but I'm now starting to think about what comes next.
With my sugar sometimes dipping into the 4s is this a sign that I have reduced my carb intake to a level that is not really sustainable for me longer-term even, even if it has helped to quickly reduce my levels and help me lose some weightnin short term?

whilst I have 3 weeks left of sensor data available to me should I be thinking about deliberately increasing my carb intake to perhaps 60 or 70 grams a day to see how my body does react to this (I'm sure the answer to that is probably yes because I know I'm fortunate to have the Libra in the first place)?

I have all but eliminated fruit completely since I reduce my carbs is this a sensible place to start rather than starting to put potatoes back on to my plate?

My only fear really is will this lead to my levels rising enough that when I have my next blood tests, it will not have reduced them enough to convince my GP not to put me onto medication.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
No wait till after your next A1c - because that tests all the current red blood corpuscles in the sample, and the ones nearing the end of their life span (90 - 120 days) will have more glucose stuck to them than the ones only born yesterday, and they report an average as your result. If it's higher than you want but still lower, continue being strict until your following HbA1c, but still resist medication, telling your doc that's what you fully intend to do so he needs to leave it longer until your body has got rid of the higher glucose ones!

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I regularly felt a little lightheaded, and on a few occasions more than that, as my pancreas was overproducing insulin. What it needed was time to calm down, and get used to the new regime. I did have a warm drink and a few (like 3 or 4) grapes, just to reassure my brain that I was not falling off a cliff. The response was almost instant and things returned to normal.
I was seeing 8 or a little more after eating, but gradually dropped to under 7 without further changes as reserves emptied out.
I can't recommend eating potatoes again. They are so high carb - a smallish one can represent my entire days carbs. I have frozen mixes in my freezer, and frozen sweet peppers and also mushrooms now I think about it - from the freezer cabinets in Lidl, and I can do a stir fry or make an omelette if I feel the need for more than I have eaten that day. I would normally have them fresh in the fridges, but these days I can be at home for weeks at a time.

Toucan

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello @PortDan.
Many thanks for the update, and your amazing success in getting your blood sugars back under control. I'm sure that this will be a great inspiration to others facing similar issues.

My blood sugars have been mainly in an acceptable range for quite some time now, and I do find that as time goes on I have become just a little more tolerant to some foods that used to really spike me. I can now tolerate more fruits, BUT as always this is a very individual thing and the no 'one-size-fits-all' still applies.
If you are going to loose your arm monitor, it maybe worth considering getting a figure prick style glucose meter, as I still use mine to keep a check on things.

Good luck with the check-up, and hope that you will let us know the result.

PortDan

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It's my son's birthday today and he wanted a takeaway. I had chicken methi (I read that with fenugreek as an ingredient it might not be too bad), with cauli rice. I went from a 6.7 pre meal to an 8.8 about an hour or so after and then I did 20 minutes medium intensity on my exercise bike. Felt fine when I was on it but then after I got off I checked my sensor and my BG had dropped through the floor and was down at 3.5 at its lowest. I did feel a bit lightheaded but sitting calmly for 20 mins or so and it went back up to 6.
Concerned me a bit though so think I'm going to mention it to the docs. :(