New Symptom - Fingers/Cold - Neuropathy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austin_98

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Pronouns
He/Him
I have diabetic neuropathy in my feet and legs that presents as loss of sensation in my feet and pain in my legs, but haven't noticed anything with my hands until like a week ago.
It's specific and I'm only guessing it's diabetes/nerve related?
When my hands get cold (within a minute or two of being outside or holding a can of Coke Zero from the fridge for just seconds) my fingers go very pale and painful. The pain is hard to describe, but similar to a more painful version of pains and needles is the closest I can think of.
It's come on pretty suddenly and the reaction to cold is rapid. When drinking aforementioned coke, I have to wrap the sleeve of my jumper/hoody around my fingers to pick it up to take a drink.

I have diabetic neuropathy in my feet and legs that presents as loss of sensation in my feet and pain in my legs, but haven't noticed anything with my hands until like a week ago.
It's specific and I'm only guessing it's diabetes/nerve related?
When my hands get cold (within a minute or two of being outside or holding a can of Coke Zero from the fridge for just seconds) my fingers go very pale and painful. The pain is hard to describe, but similar to a more painful version of pains and needles is the closest I can think of.
It's come on pretty suddenly and the reaction to cold is rapid. When drinking aforementioned coke, I have to wrap the sleeve of my jumper/hoody around my fingers to pick it up to take a drink.
I have no experience that can provide advice or reassurance for you.

I had a low level of frost bite in one hand from when I was a young man and this has always been a manageable nuisance. I got a similar level of difficulty at age 54 in both feet from snow skiing; my GP at that time said not as severe as frostbite but frost nip (which may not be a recognised medical term). Chemo in mid '20 exacerbated this into clear neuropathy and accentuated my loss of sensation from my soles, such that, with my eyes shut, I can't distinguish between a coarse doormat, house carpet and cushioned vinyl flooring. Walking outdoors on uneven surfaces is "fascinating" - I can appear to be drunk! My Endo Consultant was very clear that I had not been diabetic for long enough for that ailment to be a cause of recent worsening; he felt the chemo might well be the natural explanation.

I was given a low cost foot massager as a Xmas present, which others could easily recognise the sensation changes from even the low level of electric current passing through. I can't feel any sensation even on its highest setting and stopped using it after a brief trial; I reckon if I can't detect any feeling/ sensations, I can't judge if any damage could be occurring.

My hands and feet are constantly cold. That is painful at times and walking barefoot can be unexpectedly painful on a hard surface such as pine floor boards. My last GP had no solution to offer; I haven't asked my new GP.

Is it something like raynauds?

I have no experience that can provide advice or reassurance for you.

I had a low level of frost bite in one hand from when I was a young man and this has always been a manageable nuisance. I got a similar level of difficulty at age 54 in both feet from snow skiing; my GP at that time said not as severe as frostbite but frost nip (which may not be a recognised medical term). Chemo in mid '20 exacerbated this into clear neuropathy and accentuated my loss of sensation from my soles, such that, with my eyes shut, I can't distinguish between a coarse doormat, house carpet and cushioned vinyl flooring. Walking outdoors on uneven surfaces is "fascinating" - I can appear to be drunk! My Endo Consultant was very clear that I had not been diabetic for long enough for that ailment to be a cause of recent worsening; he felt the chemo might well be the natural explanation.

I was given a low cost foot massager as a Xmas present, which others could easily recognise the sensation changes from even the low level of electric current passing through. I can't feel any sensation even on its highest setting and stopped using it after a brief trial; I reckon if I can't detect any feeling/ sensations, I can't judge if any damage could be occurring.

My hands and feet are constantly cold. That is painful at times and walking barefoot can be unexpectedly painful on a hard surface such as pine floor boards. My last GP had no solution to offer; I haven't asked my new GP.
Somewhat off topic for the main thread, so apologies, @Austin_98.

Proud to be erratic, have you ever tried R-ALA for a couple of months, to see if that helps at all?

I had post-op neuropathy on my ribcage, where the bones had been scraped. It hurt, and limit underwear choices, being a girl-type. I was told it might, or might not get better.

On suggestion of a friend who has post-chemo neuropathy (in her feet), I tried R-ALA, and over a couple of months it diminished to the extent I could be without the supplement. To be clear, for all I know the passage of time may have done that anyway.

My friend though, has tried stopping A-RLA on a couple of ocassions, but her pain returned, so she restarted.

R-ALA is natural, and is a prescribed treatment for neuropathy in several countries, including Germany. It must be the R-ALA, and plain old ALA isn't quite the same.

Looking back in my Amazon history, these are the ones I had: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MHXYNJR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know my friend swears by the Swanson brand.

Is it something like raynauds?
If the Raynauds question was for me, my cold extremities seem to exhibit some of those symptoms, but my former GP said definitely not during a review from pre-D times. Apparently that was very definite.

Somewhat off topic for the main thread, so apologies, @Austin_98.

Proud to be erratic, have you ever tried R-ALA for a couple of months, to see if that helps at all?

I had post-op neuropathy on my ribcage, where the bones had been scraped. It hurt, and limit underwear choices, being a girl-type. I was told it might, or might not get better.

On suggestion of a friend who has post-chemo neuropathy (in her feet), I tried R-ALA, and over a couple of months it diminished to the extent I could be without the supplement. To be clear, for all I know the passage of time may have done that anyway.

My friend though, has tried stopping A-RLA on a couple of ocassions, but her pain returned, so she restarted.

R-ALA is natural, and is a prescribed treatment for neuropathy in several countries, including Germany. It must be the R-ALA, and plain old ALA isn't quite the same.

Looking back in my Amazon history, these are the ones I had: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MHXYNJR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know my friend swears by the Swanson brand.
I haven't tried any meds in a determined manner. Until my Whipple I was intent on being tablet free and rarely used any oral meds. Even after my UC diagnosis I altered my "lifestyle" to get away from the 4x daily chemicals for the rest of my life; that worked, despite the cynicism of my then GP!

UTIs in my late 60s forced me onto (for me) increasing frequency of anti-biotics. Then the Whipple and D changed everything. But I've just accepted that cold extremities are part of what has always "been around" and own far too many pairs of gloves and thick socks (for only 2 hands and 2 feet - that became most apparent when we moved last year!).

I'll look into R-ALAs at some point, thank you. It's a standing joke in our house that I have first call on the car with a heated steering wheel - which got bought 2nd hand in '22 by chance, but is fabulous just because of the steering wheel (and I ignore the other shortcomings in this perfect car!!).

If the Raynauds question was for me, my cold extremities seem to exhibit some of those symptoms, but my former GP said definitely not during a review from pre-D times. Apparently that was very definite.
It was for the OP who is asking why their fingers get painful and change colour when they get cold

I never occurred to me to me until just now. Would it come on really suddenly like that, though? And when I'm still in my 20s?
You could ask your GP?

I will if I ever go. I keep meaning to make an appointment for several reasons, but I'm moderately agoraphobic and always end up cancelling.
Do you not have econsult where you write your symptoms down and the GP calls you back?

Do you not have econsult where you write your symptoms down and the GP calls you back?

I have never heard of that! I'll look into it. I'm sure my doctors must have a website. I'll try googling the name of the place.

I too was thinking Reynauds. It is exactly how my fingers feel when they get cold or if I get stressed. A hypo can bring in Reynauds when hours outdoors on a winter's day without gloves could be fine.
I understand there are two causes of Reynauds (and had not heard of smoking causing it). One is genetic - my mother and grandmother have it. The other is auto immune, like Type 1 diabetes. And autoimmune conditions tend to gather together.

I have had Reynauds since childhood but never had any medication to treat it. I have USB charged hand warmers which I use when I notice my hands going cold but try not to warm my hands too fast as that can lead to chillblains.

I too was thinking Reynauds. It is exactly how my fingers feel when they get cold or if I get stressed. A hypo can bring in Reynauds when hours outdoors on a winter's day without gloves could be fine.
I understand there are two causes of Reynauds (and had not heard of smoking causing it). One is genetic - my mother and grandmother have it. The other is auto immune, like Type 1 diabetes. And autoimmune conditions tend to gather together.

I have had Reynauds since childhood but never had any medication to treat it. I have USB charged hand warmers which I use when I notice my hands going cold but try not to warm my hands too fast as that can lead to chillblains.

USB warmed gloves sounds like a great idea! I normally wear gloves (I have a nice leather paid that are cashmere inside) and/or hold a mug of coffee. I rarely go out, usually just for 5 minutes for a cigarette, but long enough for my fingers to hurt for a while afterwards.

USB warmed gloves sounds like a great idea! I normally wear gloves (I have a nice leather paid that are cashmere inside) and/or hold a mug of coffee. I rarely go out, usually just for 5 minutes for a cigarette, but long enough for my fingers to hurt for a while afterwards.
Mine are not gloves. They are like warm pebbles. I carry them in my pockets or keep them on my desk to warm my fingers when I need to check a hypo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back