New support programme to help with exercise

imranshah

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Terry, lots of people have more than one long term health condition so we are not excluding anyone on that basis. We would however recommend speaking to a GP for advice before starting a new exercise programme if your symptoms are severe or you have not exercised in a while to make sure it is safe for you to do so.

You mention that walking a 100 yards leaves you gasping for breath which we appreciate must be very challenging. However while we are not experts in COPD we know that moving more, even for one minute, can have great health benefits for COPD and of course your diabetes and overall health. The British Lung Foundation have some great resources on physical activity and dealing with breathing:

If you are interested in the Live Well, Move More programme or would like some more support with moving more please send me a private message.
Hi

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm exactly the same @Lanny I have been testing before and after sessions on my exercise bike and am finding that after a long session I will generally be 0.8-1.0 higher at the end
Blood sugar levels can increase after exercise, but this is often due to two things - stress hormones causing the liver to release more glucose during and immediately afterwards, and also the release of glucose by the liver after exercise to replace muscle glycogen which has been depleted during exercise. I get this when I go for a run. However, exercise also has the effect of making your body more sensitive to insulin (injected or endogenous) by increasing the number of insulin receptors on the body's cells. This has the effect of an overall improvement of blood sugar levels over the ensuing 12-48 hours - which is why those on insulin or other meds such as gliclizide may need to reduce medication afterwards to avoid going low :)