New study indicates that metformin has the potential to prevent and treat preeclampsia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
An article published in the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology reports that a commonly-used drug for the treatment of diabetes, metformin, may have the potential to prevent and treat preeclampsia. Metformin has long been used to treat diabetes in both non-pregnant and pregnant patients, and is considered safe during pregnancy.

Preeclampsia affects 5-8% of all pregnant women and is diagnosed by the new onset of high blood pressure and the presence of protein in the urine after 20 weeks of gestation. This condition is a leading cause of maternal death; approximately 100 maternal deaths and 400 perinatal deaths worldwide occur per day. Thus far, the only treatment for preeclampsia is delivery.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/12/151222082011.htm

Hehe! Another use for the miracle drug! 🙂

I need to get me some of this drug!!!

Yes it's being hailed as the drug that promotes long life and even protects against cancer as well as assisting in diabetes and promoting weight loss. But it sure as hell gives you the squitters in the process. I couldn't tolerate the stuff at all! :confused:

I have never been on it but I think its all a load of hot air (wind) :D:D

I don't think I'm likely to ever get pregnant really - but it's amazing what they find out after all these years!

Mind you'd love it wouldn't you? - morning (or all day) sickness, Metformin giving you wind (and worse) going hypo and not being able to treat it because of the sickness and what Metformin's doing for you.

Brilliant idea .......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back