New Sourdough bread

Finwiz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Have come accross Jason's Sourdough No. 7 bread in supermarkets. This claims to be free of artificial flavours and preservatives. Per 100g, carbs are 44.8g, sugars 2.8g and fibre 3.6g. Has anyone tried this and have any views please?

I bake my own sourdough so have no experience of Jason's.
If it is "real" sourdough (some supermarkets add "sourdough flavourings" to fast proving dough), I find it is digested slower but it still contains the carbs.

BTW homemade sourdough bread consists of flour, water, a little bit of salt and sourdough start which is flour and water. Definitely nothing artificial or flavourings in it.

It's been on the shelves in Waitrose in quite some time and it's a decent enough Sourdough bread...although personally I would rather buy Sourdough bread from a baker..where I live we have two great artisan bakeries which do great Sourdough Bread.

Have come accross Jason's Sourdough No. 7 bread in supermarkets. This claims to be free of artificial flavours and preservatives. Per 100g, carbs are 44.8g, sugars 2.8g and fibre 3.6g. Has anyone tried this and have any views please?

I would avoid, personally. That's almost 50% carbs. It'd send my BG sky high for a long time!

I've started adding sourdough to my diet, kind of replacing almonds to some extent, because it's more satiating.

One thing I notice is that generally the more "artisinal", the more salt, which (a) I don't really like given that I've gotten used to a very low sodium diet and (b) is generally not good for BP. Is relatively large amounts of salt kind of a necessary thing for sourdough or is it a ploy by the wily "artisans" to make it hyperpalatable?

I bake my own sourdough
Same here..... what recipe do you use?
I used to get Bertinet's 1kg loaf from Waitrose but it's pretty much disappeared. Then I went to a local bakery who's potato soughdough was to die for but I could get through 3 loaves a week and at nearly £5 a loaf I thought it best to stay away. So bake it myself now.

I used to get Bertinet's 1kg loaf from Waitrose but it's pretty much disappeared. Then I went to a local bakery who's potato soughdough was to die for but I could get through 3 loaves a week and at nearly £5 a loaf I thought it best to stay away. So bake it myself now.

Will be great help if people can share sourdough home baking receipies please.

I bought some sourdough starter at bakery bits about seven years ago and been using it ever since. I mostly use white flour unless I am running low. Then I add wholemeal and/or rye flour.
I have also made sourdough pancakes, pizza and crackers.

I tried creating my own starter but it never … started. After seven years, there’s not much of the original left.

I bake a couple of loaves every 3 or 4 weeks to give it time to build up the flavours.

I follow the methods of Elaine Boddy. https://foodbodsourdough.com/ I have one book, the sourdough whisperer of hers. I grew my own starter (David Doughie) but did almost give up and ordered one online which is now just sat in a drawer as mine suddenly came to life as soon as the order was placed!

I mainly bake with Matthews Cotswold crunch flour now, but did learn the classic white loaf to start with.

Will be great help if people can share sourdough home baking receipies please.
To be honest I'm not sure it's possible to share a sourdough recipe on a forum as most seem quite convoluted or at least the ones I've used are. I have a fair few bread books but my standard go to bread recipe is from "Flour Water Salt Yeast" by Ken Forkish (4 pages worth). I then play around with others to mix it up ie "Tartine Bread" by Chad Robertson, "The Pain D'Avignon" by Uliks Fehmei & "Poilane" by Apollonia Poilane to name a few.
For obvious reasons I now limit myself to only eating 1/2 loaf a week but I can't live without at least a bit of good bread.

To be honest I'm not sure it's possible to share a sourdough recipe on a forum as most seem quite convoluted
Sorry to be replying to my own post but was just thinking that there are lots of resources on the Internet. Searching youtube for Ken Forkish brings up loads of step by step tutorials for his bread which I can highly recommend.

Back