New screening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy_me

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi everyone!
in pharmacy they offered diabetes-screening at such a low cost the other week so I opted in.

The result was, not super surprising, that I’m at high risk for diabetes but ok im overweight.

Unfortunately I wasn’t fasting so the glucose wasn’t showing a representative value I guess. Anyways it was 7.2 so she said it was in the grey zone and should be retested fasting. What was good was that the HBA1C still was 34.

Well I hope to get the glucose tested in a few weeks time but she said I shouldn’t be worried.

I guess she is right on this but why do you think they want a re-test of the glucose?

Someone with much more experience than me will also comment but I would suggest a non-fasting blood glucose level of 7.2 is not remotely in the grey zone and is perfectly normal for a non diabetic, although it would also depend when you had eaten.

I'm guessing they just want to re-test a fasting BG level just to make sure your results are between 4 and 7, which is the normal range.

I guess she is right on this but why do you think they want a re-test of the glucose?
In some people (and, sometimes, at some times), HbA1c can produce numbers that aren't so representative of blood glucose. For example anaemia can mess with things (in both directions). So repeating the tests often makes sense to increase confidence.

Many thanks for the answers so far!! Yeah my fasting has so far been in the range of 5.5-6.0 so should not be an issue I guess

Hi everyone!
in pharmacy they offered diabetes-screening at such a low cost the other week so I opted in.

The result was, not super surprising, that I’m at high risk for diabetes but ok im overweight.

Unfortunately I wasn’t fasting so the glucose wasn’t showing a representative value I guess. Anyways it was 7.2 so she said it was in the grey zone and should be retested fasting. What was good was that the HBA1C still was 34.

Well I hope to get the glucose tested in a few weeks time but she said I shouldn’t be worried.

Zero reason for a re-test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back