New saliva test for blood sugar could help diabetics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
THE development of a low-cost, saliva-based glucose test using a 2D printer could make blood tests a thing of the past for diabetics.

The Australian-developed needle-free test detects concentrations of glucose and is up to 100 times more sensitive than current blood sensors.

The easy-to-use test integrates biosensors or chemical signatures into printed transistors.

The usual way of testing for glucose relies on a finger prick to draw blood for testing.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...d-help-diabetics/story-e6frgakx-1227255740005

But how will this distinguish glucose in the saliva from something you've eaten? For example, retesting 15 minutes after a hypo when you've just chewed a few dextrose tablets? I'm unconvinced.

But how will this distinguish glucose in the saliva from something you've eaten? For example, retesting 15 minutes after a hypo when you've just chewed a few dextrose tablets? I'm unconvinced.

That was my immediate thought also :confused:

I think metabolized glucose is chemically distinguishable from un-metabolized glucose but I can't remember exactly how, although if you eat actual glucose tablets is it still different....mind blowing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back