new roche pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,
I was talking to Alex's DN this morning and she was telling me about the new pump that roche are bringing out in May Its the new 'spirit' pump and it uses a remote control and bluetooth technology! She was raving about how easy and acurate it is to use - so hopefully if we ever get the go ahead - this will be the one Alex will get. Is anyone else on target to get one of these?🙂 Bev

I wonder what other upgrades this one has, because I believe that that old one didn't have any kind of bolus wizard thing or IOB feature.
Any of you on the old version that will be getting this upgrade?

Hi Bev - this is the one that my health authority are going with - (I have my second DAFNE course day tomorrow!) - though we have been told that they want to put us on the original spirit - and then upgrade - but as I will be way behind - due to waiting for bump - I am hoping just to go onto new spirit!
It sounds fab! I think the general idea is that they are going to update people in my area...but i don't know any of them!

Thats great admin! Now i know who will have all the answers if/when he goes on it! You will have to keep a diary for us all!🙂 Bev

Will do indeed!
DAFNE course very amusing as I have been carb counting (self taught!) since I went on pens 20 years ago...what amazed me was that other people are on basal/bolus and don't carb count. I couldn't believe it! I thought that was the whole point of the basal/bolus regime.
How wrong I was! It was always the most logical thing to me - it is interesting seeing how others are reacting to it - almost like being newly diagnosed for them and seeing it from there point of view.

So how do they work out their insulin? And if they arent carb counting - do they correct all the time? Bev

They have averaged their insulin out - and pretty much eat the same every day! No corrections at all (which is probably why they are all being put on the pump as their HBA1c's were pretty awful.)
They tend to have a set amount of insulin for each meal regardless of the meal. Will be interesting tomorrow as they all worked out their insulin:carb ratio and have to do a report tomorrow on readings!
I have truly had my eyes opened.
There is one guy who because he has an active job does not inject with his breakfast in the morning and it is high carb! My jaw dropped!
But then I shocked him as just before lunch I had a very low bs reading - and I ate my lunch and still injected (as the carbs were way more than just needed for a correction - it was lunch after all!). If I had not injected for lunch - I would have been at least 16 in the afternoon! He beleives that you should never do this!

We shocked each other!

Hi all,
I was talking to Alex's DN this morning and she was telling me about the new pump that roche are bringing out in May Its the new 'spirit' pump and it uses a remote control and bluetooth technology! She was raving about how easy and acurate it is to use - so hopefully if we ever get the go ahead - this will be the one Alex will get. Is anyone else on target to get one of these?🙂 Bev

Hi Bev,
the new spirit combo pump is little more than a glorified zx spectrum computer ie it went out with the ark. :D The technology is 6 years behind all other pumps.
You were on about Alex having cgm he wont get that combined with spirit pump.
Also think carefully about a child having a remote control if he loses it you pay for it. Simple as that. They are expensive
You would be a lot better off with the medtronic pump.

You were on about Alex having cgm he wont get that combined with spirit pump.

You generally don't get that with any pump and cgm, whilst a guide are proven to not be that reliable! It would be fab though! But the technology for accurate readings is someway off yet.

Like all things ? choice of pump is down to the user and the local health authority. I have been advised mine use roche becasuse their meters are reliable and customer service is so good - and having used their meters for sometime now, I have to agree in copmparison with some of the other suppliers.
However when the time gets nearer I will be looking at them all to make an informed decison.

I am sure many adults may loose their bluetooth kit as well as kids! 🙂
I know what would sway me is not gizmos - but size! (taking reliability as a given - LOL!!!)

Out of interest Sue - how do you know the new spirit is out of date before it has been released? Do you have a secret source - couldn't find any info on the net!

Will do indeed!
DAFNE course very amusing as I have been carb counting (self taught!) since I went on pens 20 years ago...what amazed me was that other people are on basal/bolus and don't carb count. I couldn't believe it! I thought that was the whole point of the basal/bolus regime.
How wrong I was! It was always the most logical thing to me - it is interesting seeing how others are reacting to it - almost like being newly diagnosed for them and seeing it from there point of view.

thats exactly how i felt last week, i went onto basal/bolus 4 months ago and taught myself to count carbs, just what i thought too, logical. it was all very new to the others who have been diabetic for many years. One girl said she felt like crying (with relief), that there was another way?? 😱

thats exactly how i felt last week, i went onto basal/bolus 4 months ago and taught myself to count carbs, just what i thought too, logical. it was all very new to the others who have been diabetic for many years. One girl said she felt like crying (with relief), that there was another way?? 😱

Same experience for me, although there was only one person who was not newly diagnosed. That person did count, but only the sugar, not total carbs. The first thing I did when I got out of hospital was read about 10 different books about diabetes, glycaemic load, exercise with diabetes etc. and all the good ones explain dose adjustment. I guess if you were diagnosed ages ago you got used to doing things a certain way and if you're not lucky enough to have a healthcare team that keeps you up with recent trends then you might not know there is another way. There must be so many people in that position! That's why I think these forums are so good as they do discuss new trends and experiences - spread the word!🙂

Will do indeed!

I was only put on basal bolus about two weeks before dafne, previously I had been on a mixed insulin. So at that stage carb counting was entirely new to me and I was just on fixed doses, increasing if my numbers increased but with no real reasoning to it, inevitably leading to me 'feeding' the insulin. At that point I wasn't particularly motivated with diabetes so hadn't read up on anything so didn't really know there was an alternative. dafne totally changed things round for me!

A lot of people on my course also said it was like being diagnosed again, and I guess for me it was in a way, almost wiping the slate clean and starting again.

How are you finding the course in general?

Hi all,
I am guilty of doing this myself - but - i think it would be better to keep the subject of a thread the same throughout just in case someone misses some vital bit of information. I know admin was interested in the details of the new roche pump - but it may get 'lost' amongst the other messages! I will also try to stop doing this as it gets really confusing if your looking for a link etc..:D Bev

You generally don't get that with any pump and cgm, whilst a guide are proven to not be that reliable! It would be fab though! But the technology for accurate readings is someway off yet.
CGM comes with the medtronic pumps

Like all things – choice of pump is down to the user and the local health authority. I have been advised mine use roche becasuse their meters are reliable and customer service is so good - and having used their meters for sometime now, I have to agree in copmparison with some of the other suppliers.
Must admit you are the 1st person I have heard say their meters are acurate or reliable.
However when the time gets nearer I will be looking at them all to make an informed decison.
You were prob told like it or lump it regarding your!! pump choice. You had no choice because your PCT or consultant had made a deal with Roche no other reason. Pumps have different features and delivery rates which suit different needs. Consultants/PCT's do not give a monkey's about you or your needs they made a deal end of story. I know this because I spent a long time trying to get funding for a pump and the dirty/muddy water churned up in my enquires and quest to get that funding was more than an eye opener.

I am sure many adults may loose their bluetooth kit as well as kids! 🙂
I know what would sway me is not gizmos - but size! (taking reliability as a given - LOL!!!)
As I said the Roche is very outdated and way behind in the pump world.

Out of interest Sue - how do you know the new spirit is out of date before it has been released? Do you have a secret source - couldn't find any info on the net!
If you look at the website promoting the pump it's shouting about all it's new features! That have been in other pumps for years without having to have a seperate device to store the technology in. The spirits motor is not powerful enough to add anything to it. I will also own up to having some inside info too 😉

https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/products/insulinpumps/combo.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back