New Pump User

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillsb

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
My daughter started with her pump on Wednesday so did her first set change yesterday which went really well. The only problem is that the sticky part around the site is coming off and we are not sure what to do. Should the area have been cleaned with something before we started and does anyone have any suggestions to save us changing the set again already?

You can get stuff to spray on before you put a new set in to help it stick more, some people find they need it, others don't. I think it's called skin tac, but I might be wrong.

TO help with the one you have at the moment, I've had a similar problem occasionally before, and I've basically just put the sticky bit from an elastoplast over the sticky bit of the set to keep it attached, and it works ok. You can kinda see what I've done here: http://diddyfeet.blogspot.com/2010/06/what-difference-site-makes.html 🙂

Hi Gill , what type of pump is your daughter using? only i have the opposite problem i use a Accu-chek combo and i always having trouble getting mine off ! Maybe you could ring the company that provide your daughters supplies and ask them for some suggestions in the mean time have you got any micropore tape ? that might help

Yes you can get a spray such as skin talc ask your pump nurse and they will be able to tell you which ones are available on prescription...

For occassions such as this I keep micropore tape to stick it down.. Can also be handy for sticking the tubing out the way on the skin if needs be..

I wonder did you do the set change after your daughters bath? Some times if you've just had a bath or shower using foam or body wash this can stay on the skin making it less stickable.. If changing after a bath just ensure that the area has been rised off with water and been well dried...

Hi

You can use Cavilon which you can get on prescription. It is a 28 ml spray bottle. You can buy it over the counter but it is ?11. I bought the first one to see if it worked and it did so we have it on script.

What Cavilon does is leave a film on the skin (you can't see it) which protects the skin against the sticky stuff if you slightly come up to it, which my daughter did but also it helps the canula to actually stick so has two benefits.

However an odd few react to Cavilon but not many. We've used it for 4 years and have no problem. We also use Lift Plus by Opus (also on script) to remove the canulas and sensors.

🙂

Thanks everyone - micropore seems to have done the job with this one and will ask on Tuesday when we go again as she is changing from saline to insulin. No doubt I will be back soon with the next teething problems.

MEFIX works wonders as well also available on prescription 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back