New Pump Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

soapysophy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on a forum so bear with me. I'd really appreciate some advice!

I've been offered my pump upgrade and I'm struggling to pick which one to go for. I'm currently on a Minimed 670G and use a Libre (so I've no experience with a Dexcom or CGM and don't think I'll be offered one anytime soon). For reference, I'm used to using the Libre in tandem with the bolus wizard on my Minimed pump.

I've been offered the choices between the Medtronic 780G, the T:Slim X2 and the Omnipod Dash.

As I'm not on a CGM and I don't think I'll be getting one anytime soon, I'm leaning towards the Omnipod Dash as I like the appeal of being wireless for once, but I'm not sure. I'm trying to work out the pros and cons, as obviously I've been using a Minimed pump for years, but the new upgrade offer doesn't seem to offer many benefits considering I'm not using a CGM system. (And since I've never used the T:Slim system, which I know works with a Dexcom, it's probably not my main choice - but if anyone has any advice on why I would be wrong, I'm all ears!).

Any advice would be welcome, I'm just overwhelmed trying to work out which to choose. Thanks in advance 🙂

Welcome @soapysophy 🙂 My advice is to start with no preconceptions and be objective. Write down info for each pump, eg reservoir size, cannula choice (this is extremely important), etc, highlighting anything ‘worrying’ in red and anything ‘special/good’ in green. Then watch YouTube reviews and read reviews online, so you get a feel for each pump.

Finally, think about your lifestyle and your hobbies, and imagine each pump in your life. The right pump is the right one for you as an individual. Eliminate one pump at a time as you work through your pros, cons and preferences.

I have a Dana pump, which I love. In your situation, I personally would go with the T Slim or Medtronic but I’m not you. Only you can chose the ‘best’.

I know @Inka is not alone with having experienced cannula problems. However, this is not something everyone needs to consider. If it was, no one would be using the OmniPod as you cannot change the cannula. But it is very popular.
I believe you can get a test pod (with no insulin). It may be useful to ask for one so that you can trial it if it is something you are thinking about.

I have no experience of the pumps you have on offer. However, I do have experience of both tubed and tubeless pumps. There are pros and cons with both. A tubed pump an be disconnected and there are more placement options because the cannula has a smaller surface area against the skin than a tubeless pump. However, you still have to find somewhere to "hang" the pump and it is larger and few have "remote controls".
My preference is the tubeless but, as @Inka mentioned, the right pump is the right one for you not me (or any other random person on the internet).

Last edited:
I have only ever used tubed pumps so cannot comment on the Omnipod.

With the Medtronic 780G I like being able to position the cannula wherever I want to and being able to move the pump around as necessary when doing an exercise session. The tubing is long enough (you choose the length you want) that I can chuck it in the bed loose, and wriggle around and rotate as I please. I put my pump in the side of my bra or as a third boob in the centre if wearing a dress with no pockets. With pockets in a dress I make a buttonhole at the side and put the tubing through. we each find what works for us. The pump is easy to unlit when I need to remove it (It is waterproof but I drowned one when I swam with it in and it had a crack that I had not spotted!! Of course I was away on holiday off grid at the time!!!) . There is a wide range of different cannulas available, metal/Teflon straight entry or angled. The glues do vary but I know @helli has found a way round issues with this in order to use the pump that she wants.

As others have said it is well worth writing a list of what you want from your pump and looking at the pros and cons of each, although I didn’t find that any were perfect. I just had a list of priorities and found which pumps that were available in my hospital best fitted what I wanted.

I switched to this pump in order to have access to the Hybrid Closed loop which became available Nov 2020. I use an Accu Check Combi before which was very similar, apart from the fact that the Combo had a remote control via the test kit whereas in the 780 I need to access the pump to do boluses (My only bug bear with this pump - which is far outweighed by the the looping). I would recommend choosing a pump that is already able or going to be able to use it in a Hybrid Clised loop. This makes such a difference and I would not go back on this now. I am fortunate enough to be able to self fund the sensors in order to use this.

Happy to answer any questions about the 780G, also there is a thread 780G Users which may give you a feel for the system‘s functions.

I think the first conversation to have with your DSN is about local CGM provision following the update to the NICE guidance.

I live in an area where getting CGM funding was all but impossible a few years ago - even when you had compelling reasons and data to show how effective a sensor-augmented pump was in ‘fixing’ the problem. But speaking to one of the DSNs at my hospital a few weeks back this has massively changed, and she said I should now be able to get my sensors funded.

Knowing whether a hybrid closed loop option was available to you would be a key part of my decision-making process in your shoes!

I have the tSlim, and can highly recommend it.

Having used sensor-augmented pumps for a few years (with self-funded CGM) I would not want to go back to ‘flying manual’ full time.

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on a forum so bear with me. I'd really appreciate some advice!

I've been offered my pump upgrade and I'm struggling to pick which one to go for. I'm currently on a Minimed 670G and use a Libre (so I've no experience with a Dexcom or CGM and don't think I'll be offered one anytime soon). For reference, I'm used to using the Libre in tandem with the bolus wizard on my Minimed pump.

I've been offered the choices between the Medtronic 780G, the T:Slim X2 and the Omnipod Dash.

As I'm not on a CGM and I don't think I'll be getting one anytime soon, I'm leaning towards the Omnipod Dash as I like the appeal of being wireless for once, but I'm not sure. I'm trying to work out the pros and cons, as obviously I've been using a Minimed pump for years, but the new upgrade offer doesn't seem to offer many benefits considering I'm not using a CGM system. (And since I've never used the T:Slim system, which I know works with a Dexcom, it's probably not my main choice -

Omnipod 5 is available in UK & is used with Dexcom G6 to make it a hybrid closed loop system to make insulin adjustments automatically, look online for more info, I'm hoping to make switch soon.

Thanks to everyone who's taken the time to read and respond. I'll be doing more research and contacting my DSN (their email and my last appointment didn't make it seem like I was able to discuss it fully so I'll be pushing to get more information about my new pump options and CGM options - for the future). I really appreciate everyone's comments and advice :D

You can order a test pod from Onnipod without the needle and insulin but it gives you an idea of the size.

I honestly thought i would have knocked it off by now but no, that’s not happened yet.

I love the Omnipod because it’s so simple, I’ve never had another to compare it to though.

Closed loop would be the ideal, see how likely this either with all the options, worth the conversations

I know @Inka is not alone with having experienced cannula problems. However, this is not something everyone needs to consider. If it was, no one would be using the OmniPod as you cannot change the cannula. But it is very popular.
I believe you can get a test pod (with no insulin). It may be useful to ask for one so that you can trial it if it is something you are thinking about.

I have no experience of the pumps you have on offer. However, I do have experience of both tubed and tubeless pumps. There are pros and cons with both. A tubed pump an be disconnected and there are more placement options because the cannula has a smaller surface area against the skin than a tubeless pump. However, you still have to find somewhere to "hang" the pump and it is larger and few have "remote controls".
My preference is the tubeless but, as @Inka mentioned, the right pump is the right one for you not me (or any other random person on the internet).

I have only ever used tubed pumps so cannot comment on the Omnipod.

With the Medtronic 780G I like being able to position the cannula wherever I want to and being able to move the pump around as necessary when doing an exercise session. The tubing is long enough (you choose the length you want) that I can chuck it in the bed loose, and wriggle around and rotate as I please. I put my pump in the side of my bra or as a third boob in the centre if wearing a dress with no pockets. With pockets in a dress I make a buttonhole at the side and put the tubing through. we each find what works for us. The pump is easy to unlit when I need to remove it (It is waterproof but I drowned one when I swam with it in and it had a crack that I had not spotted!! Of course I was away on holiday off grid at the time!!!) . There is a wide range of different cannulas available, metal/Teflon straight entry or angled. The glues do vary but I know @helli has found a way round issues with this in order to use the pump that she wants.

As others have said it is well worth writing a list of what you want from your pump and looking at the pros and cons of each, although I didn’t find that any were perfect. I just had a list of priorities and found which pumps that were available in my hospital best fitted what I wanted.

I switched to this pump in order to have access to the Hybrid Closed loop which became available Nov 2020. I use an Accu Check Combi before which was very similar, apart from the fact that the Combo had a remote control via the test kit whereas in the 780 I need to access the pump to do boluses (My only bug bear with this pump - which is far outweighed by the the looping). I would recommend choosing a pump that is already able or going to be able to use it in a Hybrid Clised loop. This makes such a difference and I would not go back on this now. I am fortunate enough to be able to self fund the sensors in order to use this.

Happy to answer any questions about the 780G, also there is a thread 780G Users which may give you a feel for the system‘s functions.

Hi I am new to Medtronic 780G how do you remove stickly residue from cannula stickers thanks

Hi I am new to Medtronic 780G how do you remove stickly residue from cannula stickers thanks
Have you tried baby oil?
It is the go to option for removing sticky residue from Libre so it probably works with cannula glue too.

I use a Zoff when cleaning my transmitter and then use it on my residue of the glue.
Baby oil also works on my cannula site, but is not so good good at cleaning my transmitter.
Let us know how you get on.

I have found baby oil the best, but once I have set up my new pod/sensor as it does like to hang about, and watch out for it on clothing as it is very oily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back