New project to help Muslims with diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I was told that an illness means you don't have to fast and assumed that diabetes would be classed as that. Seems that person that told me must have been wrong.

There is a medical exemption, the problem is that people don't take it up. This is about those who are determined to fast regardless of their condition.

I'll always remember Ramadan 2012, as people collapsing in Olympic Park due to lack of water and food was a major reason for having to dispatch first responders. Knowing where the shade was, was the best way to direct to casualties. Don't think there was anyone who collapsed due to fasting and having diabetes.

I'm pretty sure that with type 1 diabetes, I'd use the exemption if I were Muslim, particularly when Ramadan falls in summer in northern latitudes, so times for eating are short. For those with type 2, depending on medication (or not), it's a bit more manageable, but still difficult.

This is one issue that is really getting my back up right now.

I'm a Muslim and T2.

I'm not fasting this year at all as my body is gong through some major changes right now and i need all the energy i can get.

My doctor who is a Muslim lady made it clear that for this year there is no fasting. Possibly next year if i really want to but she would not advise it.

My old man who is pretty devout made it clear that he doesn't want me fasting this year either.

However the amount of ignorance surrounding diabetes is very annoying. A friend asked me yesterday why i wasn't fasting as his 14 year old kid was etc, etc. I told him i'm a newly diagnosed T2 and the body changes etc and he pulled a face which pretty much said 'are you stupid?' and his response was that he knows someone who has been diabetic for x amount of years and he can keep them and he's alright. Comments as such really really grate me. I wish he knew how i feel right now.

Generally i found that with diabetes a lot of people who have not got it simply don't have a clue anyway.

There is no religious need to fast if you are diabetic. Fact.

However there are those who even knowing the risks still take the risk and fast. My mother in law is a perfect example. With a BG level constantly in her high teens and with one and a half foot firmly in the grave she just will not give up. Mind you she has three sugars in her five cups of daily tea too.

As for people collapsing i always maintained it's their own fault. I remember last year when i was fasting in the morning my meal was between 2-4 weetabix, approx 8 grilled fish fingers and a couple of pints of water. Granted probably the most boring meal ever and it was a struggle getting it down at 3-4am ish however i could go the whole day without feeling lethargic, tired or anything else 'knackered' related. Fortunately i was office based but the two days i had to work on a building site, i decided not to keep a fast that day and make up later in the year. I knew i would not be able to handle fasting and working on a building site so why put myself in danger.

Very good to read your post, Guyfrombrum. Great to hear of medics and lay Muslims applying fasting rules sensibly for people with diabetes 🙂

Many years ago, when studying at Newcastle University, a fellow student was a Muslim and a keen table tennis player. He really seemed to suffer from heat and dehydration after games when fasting in summer months - being further north meant even longer fasting hours. I met him again a few years later, at another university in London, by which time Ramadan had moved to cooler months, so he waa finding life bit easier. Meeting was complete chance, in computer room - I came downstairs and we saw each other and greeted each other warmly; he was doing PhD, while I was doing MSc after a few years working away from academia.

A Muslim clerk I worked with in Coventry was a lovely guy all year round, very competent and kind, but he went above and beyond during Ramadan, when he brought chocolate biuscuits for colleagues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back