New potatoes

bakebeans

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I’m going to the allotment today to get some new potatoes to have with dinner tonight and wondered what everyone’s experiences are with them. I didn’t have any at all last year and really missed them. I’m having them with pesto chicken and salad so nothing really carby, ill only have a few but I’ve also run out of test strips until I brave the shops tomorrow so I’m going in not knowing what it’s going to do to my bg :s

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I used to be able to tolerate a couple but I rarely have them now.

Ralph-YK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've not had experience with them for many years. A DN (from a different CCG area to mine) told me that new potatoes are better than old potatoes.

Lanny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I learnt from these forums about something called “resistant starch”: if you cook starches like potatoes, pasta &, to a lesser extent, rice & then let them cool down completely, or freeze them, when you reheat them your blood sugars don’t go as high as they normally would if eaten hot straight away; something about the cooling & reheating changes the starch molecules that makes them more resistant. Reading about it from others who’d posted, it works for some & not in others & some find it only works for one thing but, not another. You could try it & see if any of the three work for you. I tried it & it works for me with potatoes & pasta: cutting the effect by about half what they were; not so big an effect, for me, in rice. Some people posted about frozen mashed potato & frozen rice, you know the micro steam bags, works for them in cutting down the effect on their blood sugars.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I eat new potatoes every day, they are relatively lower carb (along with Jersey royals) at 15g (ish) per 100g potato, I eat 150g (I only weigh as I have to for my insulin dosing) I don't spike generally xx

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It will vary with the variety of potato too, so waxy potatoes will be less carby than floury ones, but generally new potatoes are less carby than mature potatoes. Personally I prefer waxy potatoes like Arran Pilots and Nadine and Pink Fir Apples.... yum! Home grown tatties are gorgeous..... still waiting to harvest mine! Tops on them are huge but no sign of flowers yet.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've generally found I only get approx half or two-thirds the 'expected' glucose reaction from new potatoes vs regular ones.