New phone - upgrade or downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalfpipMarathon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have had my current phone for 2+ years. I have gone from contract to a SIM only contract which has reduced my bill significantly.

I want to change my phone so that I can get a cgm but I think that I am more likely to be downgrading as most of the new phones will not have been tested by GlucoRX or Dexcom so I need a phone that is on their compatibility list

I would look at it this way.... find a phone that does what you need of it and look upon your choice not as upgrading or downgrading but as rightgrading.

I would look at it this way.... find a phone that does what you need of it and look upon your choice not as upgrading or downgrading but as rightgrading.
The other option is to buy a cheap secondhand phone with a SIM. I only want it for the CGM so if I find it's not for me I can sell the second phone.

How about sharing the type of phone you are considering and asking if anyone is already using that with Dexcom or GlucoRx.
Personally, I try to get a later version as I know I keep my phone for 3 years and getting one which is 2 years old means the model of my phone will be 5 years old when I next replace it. This could mean that operating system upgrades are no longer available which limits which other apps could be used. Basically, I try to future proof my phone by getting the latest model that supports all the apps I need (which includes connections to CGM, insulin pump, etc.)

How about sharing the type of phone you are considering and asking if anyone is already using that with Dexcom or GlucoRx.
Personally, I try to get a later version as I know I keep my phone for 3 years and getting one which is 2 years old means the model of my phone will be 5 years old when I next replace it. This could mean that operating system upgrades are no longer available which limits which other apps could be used. Basically, I try to future proof my phone by getting the latest model that supports all the apps I need (which includes connections to CGM, insulin pump, etc.)
I have a Sony Xperia 5 however I have spoken to a very helpful young man who said there's a deal where I can get a transmitter and sensor and for £55 and pay for a receiver (£6) total cost £115 so I can use my current phone .IIf I like it then I will get either a secondhand phone or change my phone.

Decide which CGM you want first and then find out which phones are compatible and decide from there. The Dexcom app only runs on quite a limited list of Apple phones and an even more limited list of Android ones.

Decide which CGM you want first and then find out which phones are compatible and decide from there. The Dexcom app only runs on quite a limited list of Apple phones and an even more limited list of Android ones.
I have purchased a transmitter and sensor pack (special deal for £55 plus a receiver for £60 total price £114.99 as my phone not compatible). This way I can try out the Dexcom One first before getting a new or another phone

Especially with Black Friday coming up, keep looking for special offers, Because I have so many medical appointments, I needed a phone for the calendar, and got my first phoe ever, a brand new Oppo Reno 7 for £150, (it normally retails at £249), I spent about 4 or 5 weeks constantly checking prices on a range of phones, while also checking second hand shops for cheap high-enders. The deciding factor was the price and largely positive reviews combined with having guaranteed updates through 2026. This last is important, many seemingly cheap bargains are cheap because the manufacturer ceased providing updates only two years after the initial release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back