New Nova Rapid insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

christine.h

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Has any one heard about the quick acting Nova Rapid if so can you let me know how it is I may decide to try it but having g hypo unawareness It may not be worth trying

Has any one heard about the quick acting Nova Rapid if so can you let me know how it is I may decide to try it but having g hypo unawareness It may not be worth trying
The only ones I'm aware of are Fiasp and Lyumjev. I don't think either is so dramatically faster that there'd be much more risk of hypos but I'm sure for some people in some situations there might be. I'm fairly sure some forum members have used Fiasp, and I know Lyumjev has been discussed but I'm not sure whether anyone's using it.

Hi. Are you referring to Fiasp? I use it but don't find it significantly faster than Novo(not so)Rapid 🙄 I need to prebolus 45 mins before breakfast to prevent spiking whereas I needed 75mins with NovoRapid. Other times of day for me it is about 15-20 mins.I find I need to be more heavy handed with Fiasp than I was with NR particularly if my levels get above 10 ie, I need to use more Fiasp for corrections than I did with NR and I often have to stack corrections to bring levels down, so whilst there has been a small advantage in it working a bit quicker, I have to use a bit more and I have to be quite proactive in keeping my levels in single figures to get the best out of it. Corrections can be a bit sluggish but have to be careful with exercise as that can really make a dramatic difference to how quickly it acts. That is my experience with it. I don't love it, but I have got used to it.

From my experience, I would not recommend Fiasp for someone with insulin resistance, if you are enquiring for your son

I have been using Fiasp for a couple of years.
i guess it is the fast acting NovoRapid: the generic name for NovoRapid is Aspart and Fiasp stands for Fast Insulin ASPart.

i now like it but it took quite a bit of getting used to. There were two major things
- it does not last as long out of the fridge as NovoRapid. i have to be wary when it has been out for more than two weeks. As I used it in my pump, it is my basal and bolus so I use a whole vial in that time.
- the speed at which it works is very dependent on my current level. I think NovoRapid may be a little like that but Fiasp is more so. As a result, my pre bolus time is guestimated based on my level. For example, if I am in the 4s, it works immediately so I do not pre bolus. In contrast, when my numbers are in double figures, it can be sluggish to start working and take up to an hour and then falls pretty fast. I have to be very careful not to rage bolus and stack my doses.

Despite these two points, I like it as it is usually so responsive. My morning dose is no more than 15 minutes before eating. But that may be because I have a pump which manages Dawn Phenomenon most of the time so my insulin resistance is not that high.

Been using fiasp in pump last 3 years, find it works quicker than novorapid & even taking just before food spikes ain't as high, also think it has shorter tail so is used up quicker than novorapid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back