New mum to a undiagnosed (untill DKA) type 1 child

Harpersmum

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi sammy! Firstly a massive well done to you and little Ethan for being so brave!
Just reading your first post and it took my back to the night my little girl was rushed in, exactly the same circumstances. And I too crumbled to pieces. The fact that you witnessed your baby almost be taken away to then have this whirlwind of fast track learning with something so complexed is a struggle for most.
we are 9 months in from her diagnosis. She is doing amazing and now it’s just become a second nature. She’s now on the insulin pump which has improved her confidence massively. I still have times when I feel guilt but that’s what mums do over anything. hypos and hypers, finger pricking can all be managed with my eyes closed now! And you will get there too. Please ask your sons diabetes team about some support with your struggles. They offer a psychologist and councillors for all the family.

Odette DUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi there,

I hope you were able to enjoy the festivities! The Diabetes UK has an upcoming panel session 'Being a parent or carer to a child with type 1' and I think you may find it helpful and reassuring! The details are below but if you have any other questions, please do let me know!
As a parent or carer, you’ll know that type 1 can affect the whole family. There’s so much to think about, and it’s impossible to get it ‘right’ all the time.

Join us for our ‘Being a parent or carer to a child with type 1’ Virtual Q&A Panel Session on Thursday, 28 January 2021 (7pm-8.30pm).

You’ll hear from our five brilliant panellists - parents at different stages of their child’s type 1 journey. From learning how to do their own dose adjustments, to getting ready to leave for university, to becoming parents themselves.

The panellists will talk about how they’ve managed their biggest challenges. And they’ll reflect on how they keep positive. You can ask them any questions you like, no matter how big or small.

The link to sign up to any of our upcoming panel sessions is here: https://eu.eventscloud.com/esurvey/200042039

Please note: This session is aimed at parents and carers of children and young people with type 1, aged 0-18.