New monomeric ultra fast insulin being developed

Amity Island

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Apparently, it acts almost as quickly as natural insulin, with virtually no wait time, meaning no need to pre-bolus.

Early days yet, but looks like a good idea.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Mmmmm - I've never tried Humalog so no idea how quick it might kick in for me. However Novorapid kicks in after c 10 minutes, so does that mean this stuff would start working yesterday for me? (Now that could be useful sometimes ! :D )

mikeyB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The usefulness of an ultra fast acting insulin is eliminating the need to pre bolus. If you’ve ever pre bolussed for a meal, eaten it then thrown up as I did once at the beginning of a brush with the Norovirus, it can cause problems. The next couple of days weren’t much of a problem, of course, but those few early hours were quite tricky.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Mm, but is it likely to make you to wish to change your everyday insulin for the new one because of one isolated incident in your life?

I on the other hand have had many different occasions over the years on MDI (didn't happen before they invented that method) when for whatever reason I have jabbed pre meal believing it to be imminent but it hasn't been and I've gone hypo (like down below 2) whilst trying to eat anything I could that was full of sugar and then not wanting the ruddy food when it arrived cos I had to stuff my face with best part off a jar of jam or else half a pint of freezing cold full sugar Coke. I do not pre bolus, far too risky!

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Fiasp starts working within 2 minutes so that's quicker than the 9 mins mentioned in the article.