Hi. And welcome.

Diagnosis can be a bit of a shock. That can be a bad shock or a good/necessary one that can prompt one to take the action needed to help manage diabetes.

It’s not a sprint and it’s not an easy ride either but this place helps.

Ask any question you have, vent, rant, laugh etc ave we’ll support you.

Hi and welcome.

Would you like to tell us a bit about how that unplanned hospital visit came about. Was it related to the diabetes or another health issue where a blood test was taken an highlighted the diabetes?

Do you know your HbA1c result. This is the blood test whichnis used to diagnose diabetes and will generally be a number in excess of 47mmols/mol but can be into 3 figures if things have gone significantly amiss.

Have they given you any medication for your diabetes and if so, what?

It is extremely common to feel overwhelmed after a diabetes diagnosis and it can almost feel like grieving for your old carefree life, but once you get the hang of things, it shouldn't stop you doing anything (apart from eating lots of unhealthy food) and it can be the gateway to a new healthier lifestyle once you get your head around it. So it isn't all bad news. I actually feel younger and fitter and healthier now than I did 5.5 years ago when I was diagnosed and there are other people here who feel the same. I hope you will be able to follow a similar journey to becoming healthier, rather than worrying about becoming less healthy.

Welcome @XtrIzi
Sorry to read about your diagnosis but happy you have found this friendly forum.

It is for you to share as much or as little as you want. You will find some members will bombard you with lots of questions which can feel a little intimidating at first but we are trying to tailor our answers as much as possible.

The purpose of the forum (as I see it) is to ask, rant and laugh with others who understand what you are going through because we have been there too.

Good luck with your Getting Healthy Journey.

Hi @XtrIzi , sending you a very warm welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry you've had to join us, but please know that you're 'in good hands'. The forum users hold a lot of gathered knowledge and experience so any queries you might have - shoot them away.

Hi @XtrIzi and welcome to the club nobody asked to join. You will find plenty of support and information here. If you haven't already done so, check out the Learning Zone on the Diabetes UK website. Very useful for newly diagnosed people.

Back