New member, what is hypoing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bailey2001

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
hi, recently just been diagnosed (had test, but also seeing doctor tomorrow) an di was wondering what hypoing means?

do you become unwell?

sorry for asking, im learning all the day

phil 🙂

HI PHIL THIS IS WHAT I GOT OFF A SITE FOR YOU :::ALL THE THINGS SHUO;D BE IN THERE x

Hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) in diabetes

Did you know?
The blood sugar level is the amount of glucose in the blood.
It is expressed as millimoles per litre (mmol/l).
Hypoglycaemia is a condition where the level of glucose (sugar) in the blood drops below a certain point ? about 3.0mmol/l.

This causes a number of symptoms such as dizziness, sweating, shaking and palpitations, that usually go away 10 to 15 minutes after eating sugar.

What causes hypoglycaemia?

Insulin is normally produced in the pancreas and helps the body's cells absorb glucose from the blood:

* After a meal the glucose level rises after a meal to about 7-10mmol/l.

* One to two hours later, the glucose level starts dropping again. By the next meal, the glucose level is back to normal: about 4-5mmol/l. The insulin level in the blood has also returned to normal.

Term watch
A 'hypo' is the short name given to episodes of low blood sugar.
Hypoglycaemic episodes (hypos) can be caused by:

* over-treatment - the dose of insulin or diabetes tablets is set too high or you accidentally take too much.

* mismatched calorie intake versus demand - this happens when your body needs energy but can't get it from your calorie intake ie if you eat less than usual or exercise more.

* alcohol - alcoholic drinks tend to lower the blood sugar.

What happens during a hypo?

You can experience some or all of the following symptoms:

Did you know?
Hypoglycaemic episodes are categorised as:
# mild ? you can manage these episodes alone.
# serious ? you'll need help from others, such as a family member or doctor.

* paleness

* shaking

* perspiration

* a feeling of weakness

* rapid heartbeat

* hunger

* agitation

* difficulty concentrating

* irritability

* fatigue

* blurred vision

* temporary loss of consciousness

* confusion

* convulsions

* coma.

Most people do get some warning that hypoglycaemia is happening.

But for some, hypoglycaemia may cause few or none of the warning symptoms before the start of sudden unconsciousness or convulsions ? particularly if you've had diabetes for many years.

Caution
The aim of diabetes treatment is to have as near normal levels of blood sugar as possible.
Deliberately running higher glucose levels should only be done on a doctor?s advice.
This means loss of consciousness can occur without warning.

To avoid this, you are advised to:

* maintain a higher level of glucose in the blood

* measure your blood sugar level more frequently.

How is a diagnosis made?

Diagnosis is made by measuring the blood sugar level with a glucose meter.

A glucose level below 3.0mmol/l indicates hypoglycaemia.

Some people experience symptoms when their blood sugar level is higher than this ? eg at 4.0mmol/l. (Therefore 'four is the floor' for blood glucose levels.)

Hypos can't be detected with urine tests for glucose.

How is hypoglycaemia treated?

Did you know?
If you use insulin, your blood sugar level is:
# highest 1-2 hours after a meal
# lowest 3-4 hours after a meal.

* Mild hypoglycaemia is treated by drinking or eating about 10-20g sugar, eg in the form of sweetened juice, milk or glucose tablets.

* In the case of a more serious hypo, an ambulance should be called. The paramedic will then give glucose intravenously or glucagon (GlucaGen) (a glucose-increasing hormone) is injected into a muscle, or into the fatty tissue under the skin.

Your partner and other family members can also be taught to give glucagon injections at home.

A glucagon kit can then be provided so if you suffer several hypos with unconsciousness, immediate treatment is available. In this way, a hospital visit can be avoided.

If you experience hypos repeatedly, you should measure blood sugar level at least four times a day. This allows you to adjust your insulin and know when you need a snack.

What can I do about hypoglycaemia?

* Be familiar with the warning symptoms of hypoglycaemia. This way, you can get treatment quickly. When in doubt, measure your blood sugar levels.

* Always carry sugar ? preferably glucose in a rapidly-absorbed form such as glucose tablets.

* Measure glucose levels regularly. How often depends on your lifestyle ? it's something that a combination of practical experience and expert advice will determine. It can vary from one or two readings a week to several readings a day. Knowing how your blood sugar levels change with various activities means you can adjust your level of insulin and minimise the risk of a hypo.

* Follow the dietician?s advice and maintain regular eating habits. Some people experience symptoms of a hypo just before a main meal. To avoid this, have snacks between meals to prevent sugar levels dropping too steeply.

* Take care when exercising: exercise lowers glucose levels in the blood. You can counter this by taking less insulin than usual beforehand or by eating more before, during or just after exercise. Remember that hypoglycaemia may occur some hours after exercise.

* Carry an identity card that lets others know you have diabetes.

At night

For many people with diabetes, a low blood sugar level during the night is a big problem because you can sleep through it.

If you wake up with a headache and feel unusually irritable, measure your blood sugar at about 3am.

Lower your risk of a hypo by measuring blood sugar at 10pm or 11pm. If it's below 8mmol/l, eat a snack.

Alcohol lowers the blood sugar just like insulin ? so avoid alcoholic binges.

After drinking a lot of alcohol or dancing, eat a snack before going to bed.

In the long term

Normally, hypoglycaemia is easily treatable. A few mild episodes in a week are not harmful.

It starts to become dangerous only when the glucose level keeps dropping below acceptable limits ? the brain's principal source of energy is glucose.

mmm now i am worried, ive had palpitations for ages and ages....was diagnosed as stress/panic attacks..maybe i was actually hypoing! thank you for taking the time to help 🙂

Steff thanks for explanaition. The regulars know what hypo is, but it is nice to be reminded so clearly.

Bailey, the symptoms you were experiencing might be stress or panic, but it is always good to check if you are in doubt. I carry a spare meter with me as I have been known to have panic attacks on the tube when it is crowded. It is something else to focus on and takes attention away from the panic as well as reassuring me it is not a hypo. Either way it sorts the problem.

mmm now i am worried, ive had palpitations for ages and ages....was diagnosed as stress/panic attacks..maybe i was actually hypoing! thank you for taking the time to help 🙂

Hi Phil, I'm guessing that you were actually having stress/panic attacks on those occasions. With a hypo, your blood sugar level will continue to drop unless treated with some quick-acting sugar like glucose tablets, jelly babies or lucazade. The reason why the symptoms may look similar is that they are both produced by the same thing. When you have a panic attack, your body releases stress hormones like adrenalin and cortisol (the 'fight or flight' hormones), which cause the quickened heartrate, sweating, shaking etc. When you have a hypo, your brain also triggers these stress hormones in an attempt to stimulate the liver to produce glucose. You have a slightly higher than normal fasting blood sugar level, so it is highly unlikely that experienced symptoms of a hypo which would be caused by the opposite i.e. a low BS level.

Hope this helps!🙂

I have experienced these attacks for maybe on and off the past 5 years...if it was hypoing, would i just not get better? its not like i pop a jelly baby in my mouth every time it happens! It comes and goes, and has been present this week, although i have been crapping myself about having the diabetes tests, so maybe its what you said. I know with my posts im coming across as a right plonker and i have been to the doctors regarding the attacks..i would just be really annoyed had my GP failed to see the signs if it was hypo!

you are all very kind and have helped me alot today seeing having the test

I have experienced these attacks for maybe on and off the past 5 years...if it was hypoing, would i just not get better? its not like i pop a jelly baby in my mouth every time it happens! It comes and goes, and has been present this week, although i have been crapping myself about having the diabetes tests, so maybe its what you said. I know with my posts im coming across as a right plonker and i have been to the doctors regarding the attacks..i would just be really annoyed had my GP failed to see the signs if it was hypo!

you are all very kind and have helped me alot today seeing having the test

There are no 'silly' questions here Phil - feel free to ask away!

yeah northener is right no question is to silly no matter how trivial if is bothering you and this place is your first port of call just ask away x

thank you. appreciate that..i can look on websites until im blue in the face and to be honest i would only come off feeling suicidal! so, its nice to get some real advice and actually learn that things can get better and life doesnt end

erm, i sound abit of a nutter now..honest im not, i even pay my taxes! phil

thank you. appreciate that..i can look on websites until im blue in the face and to be honest i would only come off feeling suicidal! so, its nice to get some real advice and actually learn that things can get better and life doesnt end

erm, i sound abit of a nutter now..honest im not, i even pay my taxes! phil

Phil these boards were a real lifeline when I was first diagnosed and they still are. People on here are a huge support and they give really good advice. If your diagnosis is confirmed you should be given an appointment to see a nutritionist which will also help. Its also nice to know that you are on the right track.

[QUOTE
erm, i sound abit of a nutter now..honest im not, i even pay my taxes! phil[/QUOTE]

lol glad to hear it Phil

Phil hypos usually happen in people with diabetes because of the treatment they are on either insulin lowering the blood sugar levels, or medications causing the pancreas to produce more insulin. But they can happen in people without diabetes but are usually mild and fairly harmless, my other half has recorded blood sugars below 3 before.

Hi Phil, welcome to the club no-one really wants to join ! You will probably have just as many questions after you see your Dr tomorrow so come back and ask the experts on here (i.e. the ones who LIVE with Big D rather than tell people how to). I've only been diagnosed since October and know only too well the feelings you are experiencing (what next? why me? etc) but as you get advice and help you will find that it is life changing but not all in a bad way - honestly.

As you've already been told on here - no question is too silly to ask here and someone is either going to have the answer or know someone who does......Good luck with the Drs tomorrow and let us know how it goes - the experts on here (& I'm not including myself in that expression) are really supportive.

Wishing you all the best

thanks vince appreciate that...no idea how i got into work as im going through all the emotions for later! blood pressure going through the roof but hopefully after this evening, things can start being sorted 🙂

Good luck for later, try to keep calm (easier said than done I know!) and let us know here when you get a proper decision on things. It WILL be easier when you know what you are dealing with and you will have people either here or on your Diabetic Support Team to advise you better than. Hugs,

Just to endorse what Faith has said - good luck for this evening and, if at all possible, try to keep calm. Don't worry either if you don't take in everything the doctor says on this visit - none of us process information that well when we are stressed and scared. If your GP is like mine then he won't overload you with info today, give you the opportunity to ask some questions (and you'll probably get half way home before you remember that "vital" one so don't worry about it - you can always ask us in the interim) and re-assure you that it is ok to go back for more info

I agree with all the advice given and totally agree there is no such thing as a silly question. If you need to know you need to know. Good luck with everything. Make a list of questions. I find in doing that I remember the vital things I should ask too.

Appreciate all the advice....problem is, GPs are already looking at their watch before you have sat dow nowadays....cant really see how im going to fit it all in over 5 mins.
Frightening reading the NHS leaflet for patients with diabetes!

Appreciate all the advice....problem is, GPs are already looking at their watch before you have sat dow nowadays....cant really see how im going to fit it all in over 5 mins.
Frightening reading the NHS leaflet for patients with diabetes!

I am lucky if I get 5 minutes with my GP. Sometimes I even manage a full four minutes. I find it helps to be persistent. Make a list of the things you want to ask. If you don't get through it all, as soon as you've seen him make another appointment, and if necessary and possible make a double appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back