New member glucose levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

France2022

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi please can I ask advice about glucose levels, I am diabetes type 2 . I have just started monitoring and I have a pre lunch level 9.3 and 90 minutes after lunch its gone to 10.0 should I be concerned? I haven't had any support with what my levels should be so any help would be much appreciated x

Welcome @France2022 🙂 How long have you been diagnosed? Here are the blood sugar targets:

If you have type 2 diabetes

• before meals: 4 to 7mmol/l
  • two hours after meals: less than 8.5mmol/l

I was diagnosed in April by fasting blood test with a hba 1c level of 70. Which they said was really high. I haven't seen anyone but the diabetic nurse rang and gave me a meal planner app and asked me to buy and monitor my blood sugar before and after meals. Other than that I have no idea what I'm doing.

I have cut out sugar and cards so mainly eating veg and meat. Swapped to sweetener in my coffee and walking a bit every day. I'm on metformin hydrochloride as metformin made me have d&v every day.

I still feel really tired and have a tummy ache, I also get whoozy before meals.

I called the gp today and he said people with type 2 often have levels between 8-10 & it's nothing to worry about.

70 is well into the diabetes zone but not hideously high. Some people here have had HbA1Cs in triple figures. It sounds like you’ve made a great start. Just testing your blood sugar will be a massive help to you and will provide really useful information about what foods work for you.

I called the gp today and he said people with type 2 often have levels between 8-10 & it's nothing to worry about.
Non-diabetics routinely have levels in the 8-10 range. See this study: https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/bg-profiles-in-healthy-non-diabetics.99521/

Amongst non-diabetics:

- Only 3% of participants spent no time above 140 mg/dl = 7.8 mmol/l.
- 51% spent at least 2% of their time, or around 30 min per day.
- 25% spent at least 4% of their time, or around 1 hour per day.
- 40% spent a bit of time above 10 mmol/l

The point about the DUK recommendation for less than 8.5 mmpl/l two hours after eating is *not* to say that you should *always* be less than 8.5, just that by the 2 hour mark you want your levels to have come down to that kind of level. Everybody, including non-diabetic, goes higher after eating and then goes down again. If you're still high after 2 hours, it's a (very) rough indication that your bod isn't regulating blood glucose completely effectively. But no reason to worry too much for anything less than 10 mmol/l, if your HbA1c is looking reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back