Not open for further replies.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi Mike, what a fantastic review. Thank you.
Do you know what the duration of insulin is for the new pump?

Ach! Sorry Sue, that wasn't something I checked. You might have to wait until Feb when the website launches I'm afraid. If it's the same as the Veo, the Duration of Insulin Action can be set anywhere from 2 to 8 hours in 1 hour increments. Would that support your animal insulin's activity profile?

I'll email Medtronic and see if I can get a range in the meantime.

Last edited:
Ach! Sorry Sue, that wasn't something I checked. You might have to wait until Feb when the website launches I'm afraid. If it's the same as the Veo, the Duration of Insulin Action can be set anywhere from 2 to 8 hours in 1 hour increments. Would that support your animal insulin's activity profile?

I'll email Medtronic and see if I can get a range in the meantime.

No problem Mike, it was just a half hope but it's not something most people take any notice of.
6 - 6 1/2 hours suits me fine. Thanks for taking the trouble though it's much appreciated.
Must admit my main interest is the CGM side of things esp the cost and accuracy of the sensors. I'm about to start week 5 with my present sensor 🙂

Must admit my main interest is the CGM side of things esp the cost and accuracy of the sensors. I'm about to start week 5 with my present sensor 🙂

The 640G still uses the 6-day enlites, and apparently (from people round the table, not Medtronic) would allow the current workaround to restart the sensor. I've not got any experience, but someone I know gets 'up to' 12 days.

I think restarting the sensor might increase the chances of getting a calibration error, and my understanding is that after two calibration errors the sensor cannot be used any more.

It looks very much like Dexcom would still allow more restarts and greater potential (off label) sensor stretching, but of course only the 640G has the ablity to act on the data on your behalf without you having to intervene.

It looks very much like Dexcom would still allow more restarts and greater potential (off label) sensor stretching, but of course only the 640G has the ablity to act on the data on your behalf without you having to intervene.

My worry is the accuracy of the sensors if they are used to make decisions which could be a life or death situation.
I love the Dexcom but would never rely on it to bolus for a meal or make a correction.

Great report thanks

My worry is the accuracy of the sensors if they are used to make decisions which could be a life or death situation.
I love the Dexcom but would never rely on it to bolus for a meal or make a correction.

I'll be interested to see the MARD (and other data) on the new system once their new website is up and running. I got the impression they had improved, but they were not in a position to give numbers.

The Veo/Enlites have demonstrated that LGS can be used safely, and SmartGuard is just a significantly improved version of that for hypo-avoidance. Neither are suggesting that they would ever positively dose insulin (that's a whole different can of worms, but surely the way the whole 'artificial pancreas' thing has to head eventually), SmartGuard/LGS only ever cancel basal when (or before) low glucose levels are detected.

Interesting to hear from users though that the 640G performed well enough that it was able to build up trust during the trial period.

I'll be interested to see the MARD (and other data) on the new system once their new website is up and running. I got the impression they had improved, but they were not in a position to give numbers.

The Veo/Enlites have demonstrated that LGS can be used safely, and SmartGuard is just a significantly improved version of that for hypo-avoidance. Neither are suggesting that they would ever positively dose insulin (that's a whole different can of worms, but surely the way the whole 'artificial pancreas' thing has to head eventually), SmartGuard/LGS only ever cancel basal when (or before) low glucose levels are detected.

Interesting to hear from users though that the 640G performed well enough that it was able to build up trust during the trial period.

I'm looking forward to seeing all of the reports, it must be a good thing though that users built up a trust during the trial.

Thanks for the great review Mike.

My Veo is out of warranty in about 6 weeks and I have used Enlite sensors for the past 4 years - started with SofSens and changed to Enlite 2 years back. The idea of SmartGuard as an additional safety net to Low Glucose Suspend sounds great. Very encouraging that users were able to trust the system during the trial. That is what always worries me as I have no hypo awareness and whilst the sensors have been accurate and saved the day on many occasions there is always that slight, nagging doubt. I can't wait to have a look at the new Medtronic pump.

Am going to a talk about this new meter shortly. will post cos looks good 🙂

Good to hear Hobie 🙂 I heard I'm getting the 640g in March/April and am so excited. It looks excellent and hopefully will cut down the amount of time I spend hypo as I'm struggling even with CGM. Please update us after the talk 🙂

Do we know costs of elite sensors? Never had CGM myself and certainly not funded by my LHB.

I am really hoping the cost of the sensors will come down as the 640G rolls out - or that there will be some sort of decent 'subscription deal' or bulk purchase available as the take-up increases.

Currently they are between £55 and £52.50 each (depending on how many you buy) 😱. They are officially licensed for 6-day use, but I gather that many people successfully restart at least once, so 8-12 days is not unlikely from what I can tell. So approx £5 a day. Plus the cost of replacing the transmitter when that goes, of course.

As with all CGM sensors/systems - they always seem punishingly costly to me. :(

Hi Mike
Yes they are frighteningly expensive especially when cgm seems to be a vital part of the system. I’m led to believe that the 640 suspends insulin delivery if your blood glucose is dropping but the pump needs the cgm to do this. Is it worth having the 640 if you don’t have the cgm

Hi Mike
Yes they are frighteningly expensive especially when cgm seems to be a vital part of the system. I’m led to believe that the 640 suspends insulin delivery if your blood glucose is dropping but the pump needs the cgm to do this. Is it worth having the 640 if you don’t have the cgm

Hello @Trishm

Welcome to the forum!

You've resurrected rather an old thread here and a newer pump which offers predictive low glucose suspend, PLUS the addition of more basal in micro-doses to combat highs is now available (when used with the newer Guardian 3 sensors). Which makes the MM670G the first commercially available 'hybrid closed loop' on the market. Though arguably the open source #wearenotwaiting Loop / OpenAPS alternatives are some steps ahead in terms of flexibility.

I would say absolutely YES that the MM640G, or any pump, is still worth having without the bells and whistles of an integrated CGM. Insulin pump therapy has really good clinical trial data to demonstrate its effectiveness and the MM640G is one of a number of options that offer those benefits (precise dosing, flexible basal patterns, temporary basal rate increase/decrease, bolus wizard etc etc).

I was fortunate to be able to trial the MM640G in the Summer of 2015 and used it with and without sensors. I posted a roundup of my thoughts here: https://www.everydayupsanddowns.co.uk/2015/09/64-days-with-minimed-640g-ep-9-review.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back