New lower cost test strips becoming available

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallycorker

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
On a different NHS-based forum, I've received the following news from someone regarding new lower cost test strips becoming available next month:

"From May 1 2009, there will be a lower cost blood glucose testing option for people in your situation. Glucoflex-R will be listed at approximately half the price of other test strips on the UK Drug Tariff. See www.betachek.com for details (products/Glucoflex): http://www.betachek.com/new_glucoflex.htm"

Anyone know anything about this product?

I dont knw nothing about the product but it seems a good way to to

will be a good idea for all the type 2's who dont get testing products on the nhs.

Anything that makes testing more affordable for those who have to buy their own has to be good. I wonder if it will encourage other firms to lower their prices?

Regarding buying my own strips, the cheapest place I found was Tesco's pharmacy. ?14.99 for 51 Accu-Chek Compact Plus strips.

However, I went to my chemists for advice re my Metformin dose and the subject of self BG testing came up. Eventually I managed to do some haggling with the pharmacist on strips pricing. If I buy 4 packs off them they'll price match Tesco's price. Saving ?60:D And they'll deliver free.

Another thing - If you need to buy strips, lancets etc get a Zero VAT declaration form and take that along to where you buy from.

Last edited:
Regarding buying my own strips, the cheapest place I found was Tesco's pharmacy. ?14.99 for 51 Accu-Chek Compact Plus strips.

However, I went to my chemists for advice re my Metformin dose and the subject of self BG testing came up. Eventually I managed to do some haggling with the pharmacist on strips pricing. If I buy 4 packs off them they'll price match Tesco's price. Saving ?60:D And they'll deliver free.

Another thing - If you need to buy strips, lancets etc get a Zero VAT declaration form and take that along to where you buy from.

Hi - Thanks for that great advice brightontez!

I've not asked at Tesco - I will. Moreover, I've got a good relationship with my pharmacist - I'll try your approach.

Is there VAT on mediacl items such as strips and lancets? I'd not thought of that. Where do you get Zero VAT declaration forms from?

As far as lancets are concerned, I hardly ever change mine. One box should last me out the rest of my lifetime! 😎

will be a good idea for all the type 2's who dont get testing products on the nhs.

Certainly worth a try for Type 2 diabetics on diet or Metformin only such as me!

Anything that makes testing more affordable for those who have to buy their own has to be good. I wonder if it will encourage other firms to lower their prices?

I agree with that Caroline. Any pressure to get prices down has got to be good.

Best Wishes - John

You don't always need a form but there was one in my original meter. Boots will adapt their prices at the till but you may need to be a little persistent and patient whilst they contact head office to check what to do - you need to tolerate the glares from everyone else in the pharmacy counter queue whilst being "difficult". One of the London branches of Boots had stickers on their glucose meters saying to ask for VAT off at till. Asda will tell you there is no vat on their medical products but my experience was a very long wait at Customer Services to get that anwer

You don't always need a form but there was one in my original meter. Boots will adapt their prices at the till but you may need to be a little persistent and patient whilst they contact head office to check what to do - you need to tolerate the glares from everyone else in the pharmacy counter queue whilst being "difficult". One of the London branches of Boots had stickers on their glucose meters saying to ask for VAT off at till. Asda will tell you there is no vat on their medical products but my experience was a very long wait at Customer Services to get that anwer

Thanks Vanessa!

What about eBay purchases where I buy mine at present? 😎

I see that they are a bit like ketone testing strips - colour-coded results. Advantages of a meter are probably greater precision and also recording of results (you can download a meter into software). But very good for giving a reasonable indication of levels and much cheaper too.

At the other end of the scale, has anyone seen those adverts for test strips that have a meter built into the container? You throw the container (and therefore the meter) away when the strips are finished! How wasteful is that?!!😱

Hi - Thanks for that great advice brightontez!

I've not asked at Tesco - I will. Moreover, I've got a good relationship with my pharmacist - I'll try your approach.

Is there VAT on mediacl items such as strips and lancets? I'd not thought of that. Where do you get Zero VAT declaration forms from?

As far as lancets are concerned, I hardly ever change mine. One box should last me out the rest of my lifetime! 😎

Regarding the Zero rating for diabetic strips and machines, here are the two links I used:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/VAT/sectors/consumers/disabled.htm

This one has the declaration form:

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channels...document&columns=1&id=HMCE_CL_000184#P53_4013

The interesting bits off the HMRC site follow:

3.2 Supplies to handicapped people

You can only zero rate supplies to handicapped people when:
  • the person is ‘chronically sick or disabled’ - see sub-paragraph 3.2.1, and
  • the goods and services are purchased or acquired for their personal or domestic use - see paragraph 3.5.
3.2.1 What does ‘chronically sick or disabled’ mean?
A person is ‘chronically sick or disabled’ if he/she is a person:
  • with a physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect upon his/her ability to carry out everyday activities;
  • with a condition which the medical profession treats as a chronic sickness, such as diabetes; or
  • who is terminally ill.
It does not include a frail elderly person who is otherwise able-bodied or any person who is only temporarily disabled or incapacitated, such as with a broken limb.
If a parent, spouse or guardian acts on behalf of a ‘chronically sick or disabled’ person, your supply is treated as being made to that ‘chronically sick or disabled’ person.
3.2.2 Terminology
The term ‘disabled’ is used throughout this notice and means ‘handicapped’ or ‘disabled or chronically sick’.

Here's the declaration - cut and paste it into your word processor:

Eligibility declaration by a disabled person

Please note there are penalties for making false declarations
Customer
If you are in any doubt as to whether you are eligible to receive goods or services zero-rated for VAT you should consult Notice 701/7 VAT reliefs for disabled people or contact our National Advice Service on 0845 010 9000 before signing the declaration.
I (full name) ..............................................................................
of (address) ..............................................................................
..................................................................................................
declare that:
  • I am chronically sick or have a disabling condition by reason of: (give full and specific description of your condition); and that
  • I am receiving from: (name and address of supplier)
    * the following goods which are being supplied to me for domestic or my personal use:
    (description of goods)
    * the following services to adapt goods to suit my condition:
    (description of services and goods)

* the following services of installation, repair or maintenance of goods:
    * the following alterations to my private residence:
    (description of alteration)
    * the services of monitoring a personal alarm call system
and I claim relief from value added tax.
................................................................................ (Signature)
........................................................................................ (Date)
Supplier
I (full name) ..................................................................................
of (address) ..................................................................................
......................................................................................................
am supplying to the person named above:
* the following goods:
(description of goods)

* the following services of adapting goods:
* the following services of installation, repair or maintenance of goods:
* the following alterations to a private residence:
(description of alteration)
* the services of monitoring a personal alarm call system
for the personal use of the disabled person.
................................................................................ (Signature)
........................................................................................ (Date)
*Delete words not applicable
Note
You should keep this declaration for production to your VAT officer. The production of this declaration does not automatically justify the zero-rating of the supply. You must ensure that the goods and services you are supplying qualify for zero-rating.

Last edited:
what i have just seen looks nothing new to me, it looks like a version of the BM sticks that were used a few years ago, and they could sometimes be difficult to interpert and need a good sample.

I agree, these look exactly like BM sticks, which ceased to be available a few years ago. I reckon the low cost, lack of meter etc makes them a good alternative, particularly as a back up to a meter system eg when travelling. However, some finger wiping material eg cotton wool, and a large enough blood drop is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back