New hypo symptoms

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have noticed recently that I have a new hypo symptom.
I now get stars and sparkles in my vision. Very strange and certainly no chance of ignoring it.
This seems to be particularly if I get a steep dropping one.

Has anyone else found that their symptoms have changed?

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Yes my hypo symptoms have changed over the years. Still there just a bit more subtle.

Amity Island

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have noticed recently that I have a new hypo symptom.
I now get stars and sparkles in my vision. Very strange and certainly no chance of ignoring it.
This seems to be particularly if I get a steep dropping one.

Hi,
I also get those same weird light twinkle symptoms when hypo. Never had them until I switched from Lantus to Tresiba. It's quite a good symptom to have as you can't miss them!

Becka

It sounds to me like a migraine, which is something which can be triggered by hypoglycaemia. They are believed to be related to blood vessels in the brain, but are not actually understood, but a lack of glucose in the blood in the brain therefore causing a migraine seems a reasonable connection.

Visual migraines, or auras, will sometimes precede a migraine headache but they can also occur on their own, without any headache. All my life I gave occasionally experienced migraines, but they can take any of those three combinations: visual, a headache, or both.

When I have a visual migraine I usually just lie down and close my eyes. They usually do not last that long but, as you say, you cannot ignore them, so there is not much I can do until it has passed as it is impossible to pay attention to anything visually.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Never had a migraine in me life.

However I do get 'shooting stars' in my eyesight when dropping very fast, so get the hypo treated asap and then close my eyes for a bit. Can't say hypo symptoms have changed really. Feeling like my lips are tingling is one of the oldest - then being surprised they aren't numb, but also always had the flashing lights so first off I close my eyes tight and if it's still there when I open em, better test. After I'm getting over it , I have that effect when you've looked at the sun too long, so there's a bright spot in the middle with sort of concentric halos of eg fluorescent shades of lime green down to dirty brown around it.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The ‘looking at the sun bright spot’ thing is a big hypo symptom for me. I don’t get the sparkles - just that ‘sun spot’ eye-wise.

The tingling lip is another one I get but I did lose that symptom when on one insulin. Then it came back when I swapped insulins again.

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I only get the lights when it's a very sudden/fast drop.
So can we safely say we have stars in our eyes? :cool:

Kate_b

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
That’s really interesting - I once experienced the sparkles - like falling glitter. It freaked me out a bit and I can’t remember if I was hypo at the time but that could well have been why. I also find I’m getting a lot of visual auras - a subtle flickering at the edges of my vision which the optician has always put down to visual migraines without the headache, but I’m not so sure. After reading this thread I wonder if it’s to do more with BG levels....I’ve been type 1 for 20 years and I always forget how things can change over time.

Sally71

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
I know my daughter is having a bad hypo if she has visual disturbances - she says either everything has gone pink or she can see what she can only describe as peanuts/pairs of lungs floating around the room! (Imagine a bag of salted peanuts, they are usually in halves and the inside bit of each half has two sides with a gap in the middle, I think that is the sort of shape she can see). Sort of like this ( )

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I usually only get eyesight disturbance at lower levels too. Rather than sparkles, I sort of get a flickering with circular ripples or wobbles, a bit like when you tap a takeaway coffee cup.

I get ‘shooting stars‘ sometimes if I stand up too quickly.

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It has been interesting to read of people’s different experiences.
Thanks.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I usually only get eyesight disturbance at lower levels too. Rather than sparkles, I sort of get a flickering with circular ripples or wobbles, a bit like when you tap a takeaway coffee cup.

I get ‘shooting stars‘ sometimes if I stand up too quickly.
That latter could be orthostatic hypotension Mike!

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
That latter could be orthostatic hypotension Mike!
Yes it could be. Doesn't happen often though, and only under more extreme conditions (eg when I’ve been crouched down for a while and suddenly stand up quickly), so I’m not seeing it as a problem.

KARNAK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Mine hasn`t changed much still hit the floor and break something.:eek: